It is strike three for Missouri quartreback Maty Mauk. Mauk has been dismissed by the Missouri Tigers football program by new head coach Barry Odom. The dismissal comes just days after the school indefinitely suspended Mauk after a video of the quarterback surfaced online in which he was believed to be doing drugs.
“I met with Maty Mauk this morning and informed him of my decision to permanently dismiss him from the football program,” a statement from Odom said. “When I met with Maty back in December, I wanted to give him an opportunity for a fresh start, but I also made it very clear what our expectations would be moving forward. After gathering information and speaking with a number of individuals this week, it is clear Maty has failed to live up to those expectations by violating team rules in recent weeks.”
Odom did reference the red flag video that went viral earlier in the week, but suggested he believes the footage captured on social media was from “a long time ago.” Odom said regardless of when the video was recorded, Mauk still managed to fall short of the bar set at Missouri moving forward.
“We believe it is in his best interest to focus on his personal life and his academic career at this time,” Odom said. “We remain committed to helping him work through the challenges and earn his degree. Our hope is that he will grow from this time and we wish him the very best in his future endeavors.”
Mauk had been suspended twice during the 2015 season, so this latest sequence of events could be best summarized as Mauk’s strike three with the program. Given Mauk’s previous violations of team rules under Gary Pinkel, it was clear Odom needed to stand firm with his decision here to establish order within the program under his guidance.
Mauk’s Missouri career now ends with 42 touchdown passes, 4,373 yards and four rushing touchdowns. Mauk can still land on his feet with another college football program in the fall and he still has a year of eligibility remaining. With Mauk no longer in the picture in Columbia though, it would appear Drew Lock will be the frontrunner to be Missouri’s quarterback in 2016. The freshman played in 12 games last season, completing just 49 percent of his passes for 1,332 yards and four touchdowns with eight interceptions. Marvin Zanders will also be in the running starting this spring following the recent news of Eddie Printz pursuing a graduate transfer out of Missouri this season.
An LSU football legend officially has an on-field role at his alma mater.
Earlier this week, it was reported that Kevin Faulk would be promoted from his current position as LSU football director of player development. Thursday, the Tigers confirmed that Faulk has been promoted by Ed Orgeron to running backs coach.
Faulk replaces Tommie Robinson, who left to take the same job at SEC West rival Texas A&M.
“We would like to thank Tommie (Robinson) for being a part of our national championship program and wish him the best in his future,” the LSU football head coach said in a statement. “Kevin is a great teacher and mentor and someone that has earned the respect and love of our players. We are honored to have one of the greatest players in LSU history as part of our coaching staff. This is a home run hire.”
Faulk played collegiately for LSU football from 1995-98. He is still the school’s all-time leader in rushing yards (4,557) and rushing TDs (46).
Faulk was then a second-round draft pick of the New England Patriots in 1999. He spent 13 years in the NFL, joining his high school alma mater’s football coaching staff upon his retirement following the 2011 season.
In 2018, Faulk rejoined the LSU football program in an off-field role. This will be his field on-field role at any level of college football.
“The day I graduated high school I knew I wanted to be a coach,” the 43-year-old Faulk said. “The coaches I had growing up meant so much to me and the community, and I knew I wanted to be that guy. To coach at my alma mater is the best thing I could ever hope for. I wear the purple and gold with pride every day, and I am ready to get going to help win another national championship.”
The MAC title game isn’t the only bit of #MACtion that Ford Field will see in 2020.
The conference recently released their annual football schedule on Wednesday and among the notable league games is the rivalry contest between Central Michigan and Western Michigan. While this one figures to have division implications on Oct. 17, things are going to be slightly different this year.
Namely that it won’t be on either campus and will instead be played at Ford Field.
“Ford Field has been the location of many great experiences for CMU Football, and this is an opportunity to create another iconic experience for our program and our university,” athletic director Michael Alford said in a release. “CMU’s continued success means out-of-the-box thinking. Bringing this game — and the events surrounding it — to Detroit allows our athletics program to help engage thousands of people who are passionate about CMU.”
It’s an interesting move that will push CMU to over a decade without a win over their directional rivals in Mt. Pleasant. Still, the larger venue and the opportunity to make things an even bigger event in the state’s largest city seem to have won out.
The Detroit News reported on Tuesday that the Chips wanted to do a multi-year deal at the home of the NFL’s Lions but that WMU said no thanks.
The Broncos have won seven of the last nine meetings, including last year’s 31-15 win in Kalamazoo. Despite that head-to-head victory though, Jim McElwain’s squad got the last laugh by winning the MAC West in one of the biggest turnaround stories of the 2019 season.
They wound up playing at Ford Field in the conference title game where they eventually lost to Miami (OH) 26-21. The venue has been the home of the MAC championship since 2004 and will have the next edition played on either Friday, Dec. 4 or Saturday Dec. 5.
Georgia Tech is loving itself some #MACtion.
The school announced a pair of future schedule moves against teams from the eponymous league on Wednesday. Among the most immediate actions for the Yellow Jackets is that their 2021 contest against Northern Illinois will be shifted to become the season-opener at Bobby Dodd Stadium on Sept. 4.
GT will then play FCS Kennesaw State at home and conclude the early non-conference slate with a trip to Notre Dame on Nov. 20, 2021. Their annual rivalry contest against Georgia will conclude the regular season the final weekend of November as usual.
Tech also added Bowling Green to their upcoming docket. The Falcons will head to Bobby Dodd Stadium on Sept. 30, 2023. A trip to Ole Miss and the in-state rival Bulldogs coming to Atlanta will round out the Jackets’ non-conference schedule with one more opening still to be signed (likely against an FCS opponent).
Head coach Geoff Collins’ 2020 squad will have their attention on a conference opponent to open the upcoming season as they take on ACC opponent Clemson at home on Thursday, Sept. 3. The two programs will also meet again in city for the 2022 season opener at nearby Mercedes-Benz Stadium as well.
While those big name opponents will get more attention from fans in the region, don’t discount a bit of that #MACtion heading South either.
Keeping Clay Helton around wasn’t the only decision last year that upset USC fans. Now the school backtracking on a choice it just made has cost the program a pretty penny.
For those not in the know, cardinal and gold supporters up in arms last year when it was announced the program had agreed to a non-conference game with UC Davis for the 2021 season. Such a contest typically doesn’t draw much attention but it did in Los Angeles as it was the first FCS opponent the Trojans were to play in their illustrious history.
That would have left rivals UCLA and Notre Dame as the only two FBS programs not to play an FCS team.
Then things changed. The athletic director responsible for the deal, Lynn Swann, was shown the door. His replacement Mike Bohn has gone about trying to make amends and recently announced that USC had eventually backed out of the game against the Aggies.
In their place on the docket at the Coliseum that season is another Bay Area team, San Jose State. We already recounted how the Spartans made out quite nicely on the balance sheet as a result of this (and subsequent buyout from Georgia) swap. As it turns out though, they weren’t the only Northern California team to do so.
According to the Davis Enterprise, the buyout UCD was owed was only supposed to be $225,000. However terms called for that to jump to $725,000 after the start of the new year. Because the Trojans waited around they then had to pony up that extra half million for doing something they had been considering since the new administration came in.
“It’s pretty funny. We had every intention of playing that game,” Aggies senior associate athletics director Josh Flushman told the paper. “We just wanted to make sure (if there were) buyouts we were going to get the money.
“In December, (AD Kevin Blue) and I joking said, ‘Don’t take any phone calls from L.A. numbers until after the first.’”
The call didn’t come until February and the school is that much richer for it. On top of that they added a $400,000 guarantee game from Tulsa to replace Southern Cal on the schedule to boot.
Waiting may be the hardest part for some but it resulted in a nice seven-figure gain at UC Davis.