It is strike three for Missouri quartreback Maty Mauk. Mauk has been dismissed by the Missouri Tigers football program by new head coach Barry Odom. The dismissal comes just days after the school indefinitely suspended Mauk after a video of the quarterback surfaced online in which he was believed to be doing drugs.
“I met with Maty Mauk this morning and informed him of my decision to permanently dismiss him from the football program,” a statement from Odom said. “When I met with Maty back in December, I wanted to give him an opportunity for a fresh start, but I also made it very clear what our expectations would be moving forward. After gathering information and speaking with a number of individuals this week, it is clear Maty has failed to live up to those expectations by violating team rules in recent weeks.”
Odom did reference the red flag video that went viral earlier in the week, but suggested he believes the footage captured on social media was from “a long time ago.” Odom said regardless of when the video was recorded, Mauk still managed to fall short of the bar set at Missouri moving forward.
“We believe it is in his best interest to focus on his personal life and his academic career at this time,” Odom said. “We remain committed to helping him work through the challenges and earn his degree. Our hope is that he will grow from this time and we wish him the very best in his future endeavors.”
Mauk had been suspended twice during the 2015 season, so this latest sequence of events could be best summarized as Mauk’s strike three with the program. Given Mauk’s previous violations of team rules under Gary Pinkel, it was clear Odom needed to stand firm with his decision here to establish order within the program under his guidance.
Mauk’s Missouri career now ends with 42 touchdown passes, 4,373 yards and four rushing touchdowns. Mauk can still land on his feet with another college football program in the fall and he still has a year of eligibility remaining. With Mauk no longer in the picture in Columbia though, it would appear Drew Lock will be the frontrunner to be Missouri’s quarterback in 2016. The freshman played in 12 games last season, completing just 49 percent of his passes for 1,332 yards and four touchdowns with eight interceptions. Marvin Zanders will also be in the running starting this spring following the recent news of Eddie Printz pursuing a graduate transfer out of Missouri this season.
Even as the Rutgers football program adds transfers, Greg Schiano‘s new squad is losing them through the same process.
Friday evening, wide receiver Mohamed Jabbie announced on Twitter that he has decided to transfer from the Rutgers football team. Just a few hours later, teammate and offensive lineman Michael Maietti (pictured) used the same social-media platform to announce a similar decision.
Both Jabbie and Maietti will be leaving the Scarlet Knights as graduate transfers. The loss of the latter, though, will likely leave the biggest mark.
The past three seasons, Maietti has started 33 games at center for the Scarlet Knights. The New Jersey native earned Academic All-Big Ten honors each of the last three seasons.
Appearing in 27 games, Jabbie started 12 of those contests.
This past season, Jabbie set career-highs in catches (14), receiving yards (149) and receiving touchdowns (one). He will apparently finish his Rutgers football career with 182 yards and a touchdown on 18 receptions.
Thanks to a Nebraska football player, we won’t have to go through an entire day without a portal post. Hurray?
Late this past week, Tony Butler announced in a very classy, heartfelt post on Twitter that he will be entering the NCAA transfer database. The move would serve as the first step in a departure from the Nebraska football program.
The cornerback could also return to the Nebraska football team if he so desires.
That said, Butler would be leaving the Cornhuskers as a graduate transfer. The 2020 season will be his final year of collegiate eligibility.
“In 2016, I came here as an 18-year-old kid lost and looking for a home. Nebraska, you became my home and brought me in with open arms,” Butler wrote. “This place became very special. …
“Nebraska, you have done an incredible job at helping a lost boy become a man. My family and I are forever grateful for this opportunity.”
A three-star 2016 signee, Butler was rated as the No. 22 player regardless of position in the state of Ohio. He took a redshirt as a true freshman.
The past three seasons, Butler played in 27 games. Four of those appearances came in 2019, which was likely the trigger for the decision to transfer. Most of the games played came on special teams.
Butler is the third player to leave the Nebraska football program in a week.
Linebacker Pernell Jefferson, a three-star 2016 signee, entered the portal Wednesday. Days before that, offensive lineman John Raridon decided to retire from football to pursue a career in architecture.
The Florida Gators football program is the latest to benefit from Ye Olde Transfer Portal.
In late November, Justin Shorter took the initial step in transferring from Penn State by entering the NCAA database. Two months to the day later, the wide receiver took to Twitter to announce that he has committed to continuing his collegiate playing career as part of the Florida Gators football team.
As of yet, UF has not announced Shorter’s addition to the roster.
A five-star member of the Nittany Lions’ 2018 recruiting class, Shorter was rated as the No. 1 receiver in the country; the No. 1 player at any position in the state of New Jersey; and the No. 8 recruit overall on 247Sports.com‘s composite board. Only defensive end Micah Parsons was rated higher than Shorter in Franklin’s class that year.
Limited to four games as a true freshman in large part because of injuries, Shorter caught three passes for 20 yards in 2018. In 11 games this season, Shorter caught 12 passes for 137 yards.
Barring the unexpected, Shorter will have to sit out the 2020 season to satisfy NCAA transfer bylaws. He would then have two seasons of eligibility beginning in 2021.
As is the case across the entire world of sports, college football is reacting to the devastating news involving Kobe Bryant.
Sunday morning, Bryant was one of nine people killed — initial reports had the number at five — in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California, on his way to a travel basketball event. The former NBA superstar, who retired from the sport following the 2015-16 season, was 41.
Adding to the devastation, one of Bryant’s daughters, who was also a player on her father’s travel basketball team, 13-year-old Gianna Maria Bryant, was killed in the crash as well.
Kobe and Gianna are survived by wife/mother Vanessa and three daughters/sisters. The oldest is 17, the youngest will turn one in June.
In the hours after the heartbreaking news was confirmed, the world of college football mourned the passing of Kobe Bryant. Below is just a sampling.