Kansas head coach David Beaty is shaking things up on his staff this season by declaring he will take on the responsibility for calling offensive plays and coaching the quarterbacks. That essentially strips offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Rob Likens of any defined responsibility on the staff, although he remains a member of Beaty’s assistant coaching staff.
“Rob is still going to carry the same title,” Beaty said earlier this week, according to KUSports.com. “But I’m gonna call the offense, and I’m gonna coach the quarterbacks this year. And that doesn’t have anything to do with Rob. It has to do with me. I want to be more actively involved with the QBs and what we do offensively.”
Beaty last called plays for an offense in 2011 as a co-offensive coordinator and receivers coach. He also called the shots at Rice as offensive coordinator in 2010. The last time Beaty coached quarterbacks was 2006 and 2007 as a passing game coordinator with Rice. With Beaty taking on the lead role of calling the offense, Likens will be used as an extra coach where needed despite holding the same title, officially.
“He’s a little bit more of a walk-around guy right now,” Beaty said. “It allows him to help me a little bit. Rob can go address some of the running-back stuff, some of the O-line stuff, and we get a chance to come back and make sure we’re really doing everything efficient.”
Kansas ranked 10th in the 10-team Big 12 in total offense with an average of 331.5 ypg (115th nationally). Kansas quarterbacks (led by freshman Ryan Willis with junior Montell Cozart appearing in five games) completed 53.8 percent of their passes with 12 touchdowns thrown and 14 intercepted passes. Part of the problem for Kansas was simply a lack of talent to produce much with the offense, but Beaty is looking to set a tone and that was never satisfied last season with the anemic Kansas offense. How much that will change in 2016 is probably minimal, but taking authoritative control just put more of the bulk of the responsibility on Beaty for better or worse.
It is also worth mentioning Willis is continuing to recover from an injured right wrist, which will leave more reps in spring for Cozart, Deondre Ford, Keaton Perry and Carter Stanley.
We can officially add Maryland to the growing list of football programs hitting the workout pause button.
As with other schools in the Big Ten, Maryland welcomed back student-athletes, including football players, to campus for voluntary workouts last month. Saturday, those workouts for Terrapins across several sports have come to a halt.
The suspension came as a result of an increase in positive tests for COVID-19. The school didn’t specify the number of Maryland football players involved. Below is the university’s release:
Maryland Athletics, as part of a gradual, phased approach to the return of student-athletes to campus, is working with the University Health Center to conduct regular COVID-19 testing. In preparation for this ongoing testing period, we worked with State, county and university health officials to develop appropriate protocols in the event of positive test results, including education, contact identification and tracing, and self-isolation.
On July 7-8, the University Health Center conducted on-campus screening of 185 student-athletes and staff; nine individuals tested positive for COVID-19. These nine student-athletes and staff have been notified and are currently in self-isolation, monitored by university health officials. Contact tracing is ongoing through the Prince George’s County Health Department and all identified individuals will follow a mandated 14-day self-observation period, under the supervision of university health officials. Under guidance from the Prince George’s County Health Department, we have temporarily suspended voluntary, individual training for the football program.
In previous testing of 105 individuals in June, no individual tested positive for COVID-19.
Maryland football is the latest but certainly not the first impacted by the pandemic. Or the last, more than likely.
Just last week, Ohio State announced and North Carolina confirmed they were putting a temporary halt to voluntary workouts because of the results of recent COVID-19 testing among its student-athletes. July 3, Kansas was the latest FBS program to pause voluntary workouts after 12 players tested positive for COVID-19. Earlier in that same week, Arizona announced that it was pausing its phased return of student-athletes to campus. Prior to that, eight individuals connected to the Boise State football program tested positive, forcing the school to temporarily scuttle workouts. June 20, K-State announced that it is pausing all voluntary workouts as well. The reason? “[A] total of 14 student-athletes have tested positive for active COVID-19 following PCR (polymerase chain reaction) testing of more than 130 student-athletes.” The weekend before that, Houston decided to put a halt to voluntary on-campus workouts after six symptomatic UH student-athletes tested positive for COVID-19.
Other programs have seen a high number of players test positive but continue workouts. Among those are Clemson (37 players tested positive), LSU (30 players quarantined), Texas (13 confirmed positives for football players) and Texas Tech (23 positives for players/staffers).
Colorado football has already seen one portal reversal this offseason. They are now hoping for another change of heart. Maybe?
Earlier this offseason, Sam Noyer took the first step in leaving the Colorado football team by placing his name into the NCAA transfer database. In early April, the quarterback pulled his name from the portal and remained with the Buffaloes.
Three months later, 247Sports.com is reporting that Jash Allen has entered the portal as well. While the linebacker didn’t confirm the news specifically, he did retweet reports of his impending departure.
Now, for what’s seemingly becoming a daily disclaimer when it comes to transfers.
As we’ve stated myriad times in the past, a player can remove his name from the portal and remain at the same school. At this point, though, other programs are permitted to contact a player without receiving permission from his current football program.
NCAA bylaws also permit schools to pull a portal entrant’s scholarship at the end of the semester in which he entered it.
Allen began his collegiate career at the JUCO level. In 2019, he was a four-star member of the Colorado football recruiting class that cycle.
His first season with the Buffs, Allen played in 10 games. Most of that action came on special teams, although he did appear in three games on defense. In that limited action on the defensive side of the ball, he was credited with four tackles and two quarterback pressures. His official CU profile also notes he had “four special teams points on the season, one tackle inside the 20, one first down field and one knockdown or springing block on kick return.”
Allen will be leaving the Pac-12 school as a graduate.
Talk about adding financial insult to on-field injury for the Indiana football program.
Indiana faced Tennessee in the Gator Bowl this past college football bowl season. Midway through the fourth quarter, the Hoosiers held a 22-9 lead. IU was on the verge of claiming its first postseason win since the 1991 Copper Bowl. The Vols, though, scored a pair of touchdowns in less than a minute of game time to come away with a 23-22 win.
For participating in the bowl game, Indiana’s athletic department received $2.125 million from the Big Ten. The expenses surrounding the trip to Jacksonville, though, were $2,169,416. So, in other words, it cost IU a little over $44,000 to lose that heartbreaker of a game.
Nearly $2 million of those expenses were for the football team specifically, with the most costly line item being travel. Flights to Jacksonville, Fla., cost $690,333, plus there was another $145,406 in ground travel.
Meals were the next biggest expense at $337,236. Hotel costs amounted to $219,240. Uniforms and bowl apparel were a nearly quarter-of-a-million-dollar expense, at $249,150.
There was also a $110,930 expense for awards, which includes commemorative rings for players in the game.
IU’s band and cheerleading team accounted for a combined $174,262 in expenses, including $156,272 for IU’s Marching Hundred.
If I were to hazard a guess, I’d say that the 15 extra practice sessions that came along with the bowl trip — especially since spring practice was gutted by the pandemic — helped ease the financial loss. For the head coach, at least.
A banking merger has led to a name change for the home of Wake Forest football.
Since 2007, the Wake Forest football stadium has gone by the name BB&T Field. In February of 2019, however, BB&T and SunTrust banks merged. Eventually, the company’s name was changed to Truist.
As such, Wake Forest announced this past week that, moving forward, its football home will be known as Truist Field.
“Wake Forest University is proud of its affiliation with the people of Truist and grateful for their longtime support of Demon Deacon student-athletes,” said Wake athletic director John Currie said in a statement. “As Truist continues its climb as one of America’s leading financial institutions, we are excited that the 21st century’s best college football program in North Carolina will now call Truist Field its home.”
The facility that now goes by the name of Truist Field was built in 1968. It has a seating capacity of 31,500, although the record attendance is 37,623 set in November of 2013. For that game against North Carolina, temporary bleachers were installed.
Wake is scheduled to open the 2020 college football season Sept. 4 at Old Dominion. They’ll face Appalachian State the following weekend in the home opener.
Wake Forest is coming off an 8-5 2019 campaign in Dave Clawson’s sixth season with the Demon Deacons. Wake has played in four straight bowl games for the first time in school history. Last April, Clawson signed a contract extension that would keep him at the ACC school through the 2026 season.