If Maty Mauk is to resurrect a playing career that went down in spectacular flames once, it appears he’ll do so at a lower level of football.
Dismissed by Missouri earlier this year, Mauk graduated from the university this weekend. And, apparently, as he attempts to move on to the next chapter of his life, it will include a move on to Eastern Kentucky of the FCS as that’s his destination per his updated Twitter bio.
Dave Matter of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch tweeted that there has been “[n]o confirmation from Mauk or [his] family” on landing at EKU. Then there’s this:
WTVQ ABC 36 reporter Kennedy Hardman tweeted Monday that EKU had confirmed Mauk’s commitment, though he had not signed a financial aid agreement. Hardman later deleted the tweet and then said EKU had not confirmed Mauk’s commitment.
Given how the first three years of his collegiate career went, confusion and uncertainty should be expected.
In late January, Mauk was dismissed by Mizzou, three days after he was suspended when a video showing a person who appeared to be Mauk snorting what appeared to be a line of cocaine. That marked Mauk’s third suspension in four months.
Mauk was suspended in late September of las year for violating unspecified team rules. After missing four games, he was reinstated. Less than a week after his reinstatement, he was suspended for the remainder of the 2015 season. That suspension allegedly stemmed from an off-campus incident involving the player and an unidentified male outside of a downtown Columbia drinking establishment.
In late December, new Mizzou head coach Barry Odom reinstated Mauk.
Mauk was the starting quarterback on the Tigers’ 2014 SEC East title squad after starting a handful of games for the 2013 East title team. He attempted just 110 passes in that truncated 2015 season that again saw him begin the year as the starting quarterback.
If Mauk does end up landing at EKU, he would be eligible to play immediately in 2016.
Former Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Ken Zampese is joining Florida’s staff as an analyst, according to Sports Illustrated‘s Andy Benoit.
Zampese spent the 2016-17 seasons as the Bengals’ offensive coordinator after serving 13 seasons as Marvin Lewis‘s quarterbacks coach. Cincinnati went 13-18-1 in Zampese’s two seasons running the offense, which is why he spent 2018 as the Cleveland Browns’ quarterbacks coach and the first part of 2019 as the offensive coordinator for the AAF’s Atlanta Legends.
He is the son of former Chargers, Rams, Cowboys and Patriots offensive coordinator Ernie Zampese.
It is not immediately known what the younger Zampese’s role will be with the Gators, but his experience indicates he’ll work with Dan Mullen and coordinators John Hevesy and Billy Gonzales to develop Florida’s offensive plan and help Brian Johnson tutor the quarterbacks, or perhaps use his coordinator experience to self-scout Florida’s offense and scout Florida’s future opponents.
All the reporting that came out since the bombshell reports saying Connecticut is looking to leave the American Athletic Conference to rejoin the non-football Big East have confirmed that, yes, this is really happening, likely in time for the 2020-21 athletic year. The reporting has also said that UConn’s soon-to-be-homeless football program will not drop down to FCS, but instead join a different conference or try to make it as an FBS independent.
On Saturday, Stadium’s Brett McMurphy tweeted that UConn has determined it will not return to FCS, where the program competed for most of its history before joining the then-power conference Big East in 2004.
On Sunday morning, NCAA.com’s Andy Katz followed with a note saying it looked like the Huskies will try to make a go of it as an independent, writing that UConn will attempt to schedule neighbors like UMass (a fellow independent), Boston College, Syracuse and Rutgers while honoring existing contracts for home-and-homes with Duke, Illinois, NC State and others.
For a check in with someone who might actually know something, let’s see what Huskies head coach Randy Edsall has to say.
Either way, it sounds like the train is moving and we could hear something official sooner rather than later.
Steve Spurrier hasn’t coached a college football team since 2015, but that doesn’t mean the Head Ball Coach has retired.
The former Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback and national championship head coach returned to his alma mater to serve as a brand ambassador in 2016, he’s appeared in commercials, and he won a self-proclaimed championship as head coach of the Orlando Apollos of the short-lived Alliance of American Football.
Now, he’s getting into the restaurant business.
On Friday, it was reported the 74-year-old Spurrier will announce that he’s seeking a partner to “operate his new American casual dining concept.”
Details are scarce at this point–that’s probably the point of the press conference–but I’m imagining Margaritaville with footballs. We’ll find out on Monday.