AP Photo/Thomas Graning

Ole Miss strikes quickly, loses DB Ken Webster to gruesome leg injury

In the final giant matchup of the greatest opening weekend in college football history, Ole Miss struck first with a quick touchdown drive led by quarterback Chad Kelly, but the major development in the first few minutes of the Camping World Kickoff in Orlando is the awful leg injury suffered by Ole Miss defensive back Ken Webster.

I’ll do you the courtesy of skipping any Vines or GIFs or any other visual of the injury. Let’s just say, his left leg is not supposed to bend that way. ESPN aired the replay of the injury once, and that was more than enough for most of the viewing audience. ESPN went to commercial as Webster was attended to on the field and when they came back from commercial there was a shot of Webster in agony and emotional disbelief that reminds you just how human these star athletes can be. At the same time, he was being carted off and dealing with the reality of the injury, Webster maintained his veteran role on the Ole Miss defense and yelled instructions or motivation to his teammates about to resume playing.

We’ll wait for more information on the injury, but it is very safe assumption to suggest he is going to be missing some considerable playing time as a result.

Ole Miss moved quickly down the field on the opening possession of the game, driving 75 yards on six plays. The key plays were a 36-yard pass from Kelly to Evan Engram, which was followed a few plays later by a penalty on Florida State’s Derwin James for unnecessary roughness, a late hit on Van Jefferson following a three-yard loss on a pass play that took the receiver to his knee. Kelly completed a short touchdown pass to Damore'ea Stringfellow to cap the touchdown drive.

Ole Miss is leading Florida State, 7-0, midway through the first quarter.

Bret Bielema reportedly interviewing for Colorado job

Bret Bielema is interviewing for the Colorado head coaching position, according to reports Monday from NFL Network and ESPN.

Bielema tried to get in on the Michigan State job that, obviously, went to Mel Tucker, so now he’s in the running for the job Tucker left.

The former Wisconsin and Arkansas head coach joined Bill Belichick‘s witness protection program after his 2017 Arkansas firing, working for a year as “consultant to the head coach” in New England. He was promoted to defensive line coach and reportedly told friends he was in the running to become the defensive coordinator after Greg Schiano stepped down, but Belichick wound up giving that job to himself.

He wound up following Joe Judge from Foxboro to the New York Giants, but now has apparently decided he’d rather be back in college than work as a position coach at the NFL level.

Bielema went 68-24 at Wisconsin before his 29-34 flameout at Arkansas. His teams famously stuck to a ground-and-pound philosophy that worked like peanut butter and jelly in Madison but peanut butter and salsa in Fayetteville. So, should Colorado be as interested in Bielema as he apparently is in them, his offensive philosophy would figure to be question one in the interview.

Mel Tucker reels in 3-star RB who delayed signing after Dantonio retirement

Mel Tucker secured his first signee over the weekend, which is impressive since he didn’t take the job until after the 2020 signing periods.

Jordon Simmons, a 3-star running back from Powder Springs, Ga., committed to Michigan State back in October but did not sign in the early period or the late period.

After Mark Dantonio‘s retirement the night before the February signing period, Simmons announced he would not sign with the Spartans the following day.

“Due to the unforeseen retirement of Coach Dantonio and after discussing things with my family, I have decided to delay my signing with Michigan State University until further notice,” he tweeted the night of Dantonio’s announcement. “I love everything that Michigan State has to offer and I appreciate the love and support that the fan base has shown me. However, with the uncertainty of the MSU program I have decided to take some time to weight out my options and think about where I will spend the next 4 years.”

After taking a couple weeks to consider his options and get to know his new head coach, Simmons inked with the Spartans once and for all.

The Simmons saga shows that, should players obtain a free release to play elsewhere if their head coach leaves in between the time they sign scholarship papers and their freshman seasons, most of those players would still wind up at their original school simply because they’d be out of options elsewhere.

Central Michigan CB Kyron McKinnie-Harper facing multiple charges, including pair of felonies

Central Michigan football