Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images

Arkansas AD Jeff Long will not let past affect how Bobby Petrino viewed in playoff picture

3 Comments

With Louisville ascending quickly out of the gates of the college football season, the early playoff discussions have already begun. Bobby Petrino has seemingly resurrected his career as a head coach after a complete disaster of an off-field situation saw his run at Arkansas crash on the side of the road. Now, with Petrino and the Cardinals very much worth discussing as a legitimate national title contender three weeks into the season, Petrino’s old boss at Arkansas says the past will not affect the present.

Jeff Long, athletics director at Arkansas, of course, is that former boss of Petrino’s. Long may have felt let down by Petrino in the final days of his time as head coach of the Razorbacks, but Long and the rest of the College Football Playoff have one specific job to accomplish at the end of the year; field the best four teams in college football into a College Football Playoff. Long’s past feelings about Petrino will not affect how the Cardinals may or may not be viewed in the national title picture should Louisville be so fortunate to be in such a position at the end of the season.

“No, there’s no reason for me to recuse myself,” Long said, according to the Associated Press. It is standard protocol for any member of the College Football Playoff selection committee with a direct tie to any potential playoff candidate to leave the room during discussion of that specific school. Although Petrino is a former coach at Long’s Arkansas, that does not come into the equation for Long’s role on the committee.”I think Louisville is a fine football program, and they demonstrated that after three weeks of the season. We’ve got six more weeks before we rank a group of teams.”

“I think Louisville is a fine football program, and they demonstrated that after three weeks of the season. We’ve got six more weeks before we rank a group of teams.”

Long, as the chairman of the selection committee, has previously been tasked with addressing the committee’s weekly poll on live television and essentially serve as the face of the committee (that responsibility is now Texas Tech AD Kirby Hocutt‘s). The reaction to some of Long’s comments during the weekly poll explanations have been taken to task a number of times during the past two seasons, but these comments related specifically to Petrino and Louisville are fair and honest. There is no reason Long should be removed from the discussion of Louisville as long as there is no evidence suggesting Long still has an ax to grind with Petrino. We are more than a few years removed from Petrino’s last stint at Arkansas, so as long as the water has passed under the bridge, Long should remain on the selection committee if and when Louisville is discussed.

Utah WR Terrell Perriman now up to eight felony charges, dismissed from program

Getty Images
1 Comment

Utah wide receiver Terrell Perriman was already in serious trouble in late January when he was charged with allegedly raping and kidnapping a 17-year-old girl.

But his count of two felony charges has now grown to six, according to KSL, as Salt Lake County prosecutors are now charging him with three counts of rape, two counts of forcible sodomy, burglary, forcible sexual abuse and aggravated kidnapping.

According to KSL, witnesses saw Perriman force his way into a woman’s residence in the fall of 2018, when he allegedly forced her to perform a sex act on him. A month later, the victim says he forced his way into her apartment and again forced her to perform a sex act on him.

Then, in January, Perriman texted a woman to come to his residence, where he forcibly removed her leggings and raped her. He was arrested for that alleged rape two days later.

Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham announced Friday that Perriman has been dismissed from the team.

“He was suspended indefinitely when we initially became aware of the incident that led to his arrest,” Whittingham said in a statement. “At that time we said we would monitor the situation as it moved through the legal process. Today we were made aware of additional charges that led to our decision to dismiss him.

“Because of the ongoing legal process, and with Terrell no longer a part of our program, we will have no further comments regarding the situation.”

A Florida product, Perriman was a bit player for the Utes. After redshirting in 2018, Perriman appeared in 10 games for the Pac-12 South champions, primarily on special teams. He amassed two catches for nine yards and one rush for five in the Alamo Bowl, his last game as a Ute.

 

Colorado State kicker Cayden Camper charged with suspicion of DUI

Colorado State football
Colorado State athletics
Leave a comment

A member of the Colorado State football program is the latest to prove that kickers are indeed real players. At least when it comes to the ability to trip up off the field, that is.

According to The Coloradoan, Cayden Camper was arrested early Sunday morning on one count of suspicion of drunken driving or driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs. The charge the 19-year-old kicker is facing is a misdemeanor.

Other than the arrest stemmed from a traffic stop initiated by a Fort Collins police officer at 1:11 a.m. local time, no details have been released.

A Colorado State football official stated that the program is “aware of the situation and are currently gathering more information.”

Serving as the Rams’ primary placekicker as a true freshman in 2019, Camper made all 18 point-after attempts and 7-of-13 field-goal tries. He made a career-long 50-yard attempt in a November game against UNLV.

While Camper was CSU’s primary kicker this past campaign, he’s not the only option at the position.  As a redshirt freshman in 2019, Maxwell Poduska was also 18-of-18 on extra-point tries and 5-of-7 on his field-goal attempts.  The Fort Collins native attempted a kick in five games this past season.

The 6-5, 205-pound Camper is a walk-on with the Colorado State football team. Obviously, this off-field incident won’t help his hopes of earning a scholarship.

This is the first known off-field situation facing Steve Addazio since he was hired in mid-December.

Duke hires Chris Hampton as CBs coach

Duke football
Getty Images
Leave a comment

David Cutcliffe‘s Duke football coaching staff is whole once again.

Friday, the Blue Devils announced the hiring of Chris Hampton as part of Cutcliffe’s 10-man on-field staff. Hampton will serve as the ACC program’s cornerbacks coach.

The newest assistant will replace Derek Jones, who left Duke earlier this month after a dozen seasons to take over as secondary coach/co-defensive coordinator/associate head coach at Texas Tech.

“We are excited for Coach Hampton to join us here at Duke,” the Duke football head coach said in a statement. “His experience both as a student-athlete and coach will pay immediate dividends within our program. Coach Hampton has earned the respect of many coaches and administrators within the coaching industry and I’m confident he will make a smooth transition into our defensive staff room.”

Hampton spent the past four seasons as the defensive backs/secondary coach at Tulane. That was Hampton’s first on-field job at the FBS level.

The opportunity with the Blue Devil will, obviously, serve as Hampton’s first on-field role at a Power Five school.

“I’m both honored and excited to be joining the Duke football family,” the newest Duke football assistant said in his statement. “I’m extremely thankful that Coach Cutcliffe has given me this opportunity and I’m looking forward to learning under him. I can’t wait to get to work with our current players as well start recruiting future Blue Devils.”

During his coaching career, Hampton has also served in stops at:

  • Arkansas State, 2008 (graduate assistant)
  • Georgia Tech, 2009-10 (graduate assistant)
  • Central Arkansas, 2011 (safeties coach)
  • McNeese State, 2012-15 (defensive backs coach)

Dismissed Ohio State DBs indicted by grand jury on felony rape, kidnapping charges

Ohio State football
Getty Images
1 Comment

There’s been a significant development involving two former members of the Ohio State football program.

Late last week, Franklin County (Ohio) prosecutor Ron O’Brien announced that Amir I. Riep, 21, and Jahsen L. Wint, also 21, have each been indicted by a grand jury on two counts of rape and one count of kidnapping. All of those charges are first-degree felonies.

“If convicted on these charges, both men face a maximum consecutive term of 33 years of incarceration as well as registration as sex offenders,” O’Brien stated.

The details of the alleged rapes earlier this year are disturbing, to say the least.

At approximately 9:45 p.m. on Feb. 4, the two Ohio State players “forced vaginal intercourse with another … by purposely compelling said victim to submit by force,” according to a complaint filed on Tuesday by the alleged victim against Riep and Wint.

Riep, according to the complaint, “held the victim in place, restraining the liberty of another,” and pushed the victim “down by the neck then held her in place with his hands and body, with the purpose to engage in sexual activity with and against the will of said victim.”

Wint, according to the complaint, physically held the victim “by the face” and prevented the victim from “getting away or getting his penis out of her mouth, with the purpose to engage in sexual activity with and against the will of said victim.”

The victim began to have consensual sex with Riep before she stopped and moved away from him, telling him that she “did not want to continue,” per the summary statement of facts in a Franklin County Municipal Court affidavit in support of probable cause. Wint then entered the room, and Riep asked if he could join before forcing her to have non-consensual sex, per the affidavit. Riep then held her in place while Wint forced oral sex on the victim, according to the summary statement of facts.

The Ohio State football program initially suspended the defensive backs. A day after arrest warrants were issued, the Buckeyes dismissed both players.

Riep (pictured) and Wint, who, through their attornies, have maintained their innocence, will be arraigned March 6.

Riep, a cornerback, appeared in 37 games during his time in the Ohio State football program. Wint, a safety, saw action in 35 games. Both players would’ve been entering their senior seasons with the Buckeyes.