Hail Mary completes wild second half comeback by Tennessee to top Georgia

Tennessee knows all about second half comebacks after rallying to beat Florida last week. After Saturday, they know all about snatching victory from the jaws of defeat too.

Joshua Dobbs threw a Hail Mary as time expired that receiver Jauan Jennings inexplicable pulled out of the air in the end zone to help the Vols escape 34-31 in another thriller between the hedges.

After rallying from 10 down at halftime, Tennessee’s defense stepped up in the fourth quarter when star defensive end Derek Barnett sacked Georgia quarterback Jacob Eason in his own end zone. The freshman fumbled the ball, which was later recovered by the Vols for a touchdown and what appeared to be the game-winning points.

But Georgia had other ideas.

Despite Eason throwing an interception, the Bulldogs defense forced a stop with just over a minute left. Eason took over and looked very un-freshman like under center, driving his team down the field in impressive fashion before hitting Riley Ridley for 47 yards and an inexplicable touchdown with just 10 seconds left in the game.

Amid the pandemonium in Athens though was that Tennessee had one last shot to win the game.

After a good kick return to the Georgia 48 yard line, Dobbs dropped back, wound up, and somehow found Jennings in the end zone with four Georgia defenders on his back. The play was reviewed but the touchdown counted and Tennessee escaped with the win.

The victory by the Vols gives them a near lock on the SEC East standings having beaten the two other main contenders in Georgia and Florida on consecutive weeks.

Head coach Butch Jones is likely to inform his team that they can’t keep coming back from big deficits at halftime against the Texas A&M’s and Alabama’s of the world but, for now, they’ll likely celebrate all the way to Knoxville after such a wild ending.

In wake of Odell Beckham kerfuffles, CFP to review sideline, locker room access policies