Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

Oklahoma goes on 28-0 run to storm to halftime lead at TCU

Oklahoma may not have gotten off to a great start at TCU, but they certainly have found a way to seize all of the momentum as the teams reached halftime. The Sooners dug a 21-7 hole but ripped off 28 straight points in the second quarter to roar to a 35-24 lead over the Horned Frogs.

TCU capitalized on an early mistake by Oklahoma. On the first play after recovering a Baker Mayfield fumble at the Sooners’ 18-yard line, Kenny Hill completed a touchdown strike to Jaelin Austin for a touchdown. Oklahoma would later flip the script for their first score of the game, although the Sooners had to work a little harder to do so. After picking off Hill and getting possession at the TCU 22-yard line, Oklahoma tied the game up four plays later with a Mayfield touchdown run.

This was anything but a momentum shift in favor of Oklahoma, however, as TCU marched right down the field on the next possession for an 80-yard touchdown drive to regain the lead. TCU would push that lead to 21-7 on their next possession with a 61-yard catch and run courtesy of Kyle Hicks, who maneuvered through a few defenders and used his speed to his advantage.

Mayfield’s second touchdown run of the afternoon brought Oklahoma back to within one score in the second quarter. The Sooners would later take the lead with a Mayfield connecting ona  67-yard touchdown pass to Westbrook. Just minutes later, the two connected once more for a score, this time from 40 yards for the 35-21 lead.

Mayfield did take a hard shot that left him getting off the field a little gingerly just before the half. Mayfield lost the football on the play, giving TCU one late shot at the end of the half, but the Horned Frogs were unable to take advantage with a touchdown, but did tack on a field goal.