LSU-Florida postponed, will be rescheduled ‘if possible’

After waiting too long to move the game to the bayou, the LSU-Florida game has been placed on hold for the time being.  Or permanently, depending on your perspective.

With Hurricane Matthew picking up strength and bearing down toward the area, and after some initial confusion, the SEC announced that the game scheduled for a noon kickoff in Gainesville Saturday has been postponed.  According to the release, “[t]he universities and the SEC Office will work to reschedule the game later in the 2016 season if possible.”

The bye weekends for the teams do not match up, with the Gators’ off in Week 8 and the Tigers the following weekend.

One possibility for a makeup date could be Nov. 19, although that would require UF to buy out its game with Presbyterian and LSU to do the same with South Alabama.  That would also mean LSU would lose the revenue from a home game — assuming a rescheduled game would still be played in Gainesville — although the SEC carries insurance that should over most if not all of their losses.

Another possibility could be the day of the SEC championship game (Dec. 3) if neither team earns a spot in the league title tilt.

Were it not for some feet dragging earlier in the week, though, this type of situation could’ve been avoided. “LSU offered to either travel or host the game over the course of the weekend,” LSU’s release mentioned.

Regardless, it seems highly unlikely that this game will be made up at any point this season.

“We had a very productive phone call today with a great spirit of cooperation between the universities’ presidents and athletics directors and it became clear that the University of Florida could neither host nor travel to a game this weekend considering the circumstances,” said SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey in a statement. “The developments of the hurricane in the last 24 hours, the projected magnitude of its impact and the unknown aftermath of this storm have resulted in this decision to seek another date to play the LSU-Florida game. We have to be sensitive to the possible imminent disruption to the state of Florida and in particular the Gainesville and surrounding area.

“The timing of this storm on a Friday and the uncertainty of its aftermath in the ensuing days make it particularly difficult to project the conditions for the remainder of the weekend as well as the opportunity for travel of teams and fans to or from Gainesville and other cities in Florida. I am appreciative of the cooperation of our universities on this matter.”

Bret Bielema reportedly interviewing for Colorado job

Bret Bielema is interviewing for the Colorado head coaching position, according to reports Monday from NFL Network and ESPN.

Bielema tried to get in on the Michigan State job that, obviously, went to Mel Tucker, so now he’s in the running for the job Tucker left.

The former Wisconsin and Arkansas head coach joined Bill Belichick‘s witness protection program after his 2017 Arkansas firing, working for a year as “consultant to the head coach” in New England. He was promoted to defensive line coach and reportedly told friends he was in the running to become the defensive coordinator after Greg Schiano stepped down, but Belichick wound up giving that job to himself.

He wound up following Joe Judge from Foxboro to the New York Giants, but now has apparently decided he’d rather be back in college than work as a position coach at the NFL level.

Bielema went 68-24 at Wisconsin before his 29-34 flameout at Arkansas. His teams famously stuck to a ground-and-pound philosophy that worked like peanut butter and jelly in Madison but peanut butter and salsa in Fayetteville. So, should Colorado be as interested in Bielema as he apparently is in them, his offensive philosophy would figure to be question one in the interview.

Mel Tucker reels in 3-star RB who delayed signing after Dantonio retirement