Getty Images

Mitsubishi Motors new title sponsor of Las Vegas Bowl

Leave a comment

There’s been yet another significant development on the Las Vegas Bowl front.

Thursday afternoon, Sin City’s only postseason game announced that Mitsubishi Motors will serve as the bowl’s title sponsor for the next two years.  Not surprisingly, the game will be referred to as the Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl.

Since it first debuted in 1992 as the Las Vegas Bowl, the game has been known at various points as the EA Sports Bowl (1999), the Sega Sports Bowl (2001-02), the Pioneer PureVision Las Vegas Bowl (2004-06), the Pioneer Las Vegas Bowl (2007-08), the Maaco Bowl Las Vegas (2009-12), the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl (2013-15) and the Las Vegas Bowl presented by GEICO.  From 1992-98, as well as in 2003 and 2017, it was sponsor-less and thus known simply as the Las Vegas Bowl.

This will mark Mitsubishi’s first-ever sponsorship of a college football bowl game.

“This new partnership brings together two exciting and world-renowned brands in Mitsubishi Motors and Las Vegas,” said Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl Executive Director John Saccenti in a statement. “We are proud of how our event has grown so much along with our great city the last quarter-century and with the addition of a world-class title sponsor the future looks even brighter.”

While the 2018 game, scheduled for Dec. 15, and the one in 2019 will again pit a Pac-12 school against one from the Mountain West Conference, it was reported last month that the 2020 game will feature a Pac-12-SEC matchup.

Last season, Boise State dropped Oregon 38-28 in the 26th annual Las Vegas Bowl.  It marked the Broncos’ fourth win in the postseason game — they won three straight from 2010-12 — leaving them third in Las Vegas Bowl appearances behind only BYU (six) and Utah (five).

Report: Ex-Notre Dame RB Josh Adams collected $500k after going undrafted thanks to loss of value insurance policy

Getty Images
2 Comments

Loss of value insurance policies have been talked about quite a bit for high profile college football players over the years but the success rate on guys who slip in the draft due to injury actually collecting on said policies has been hit or miss. For everybody like former Michigan tight end Jake Butt, who collected $543,000 two years ago after an ACL injury in the Orange Bowl, there’s somebody like Arkansas tailback Rawleigh Williams III who is forced to go to court to argue for his claim to be paid out.

You can count former Notre Dame running back Josh Adams on the positive side of the ledger however, as ESPN’s Darren Rovell confirmed with an insurance advisor that he picked up a $500,000 check as part of his policy after going undrafted this past spring.

Adams left school early after leading the Irish in rushing his final two years in South Bend but a foot injury plagued him throughout the pre-draft process and he wound up not getting selected. He eventually signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as a free agent and has seven carries for 29 yards with the team so far this season. Though the Super Bowl champs have a crowded backfield, there’s also a big opportunity for Adams in the weeks ahead with starter Jay Ajayi out for the year with an injury.

Although Adams is probably still at least a little upset at going undrafted to begin his pro career, he managed to land in a good spot and that half a million dollar check will certainly take the sting out of things as well.

Washington LB Amandre Williams announces transfer from the program

Getty Images
Leave a comment

One of the Pac-12’s best defenses is looking a little thinner than it was a week ago.

In a post on his Twitter and Instagram accounts, Washington backup linebacker Amandre Williams announced he was leaving the football program on Wednesday night just ahead of his team’s big conference test against Colorado over the weekend.

Williams had played in every game so far this season and made three tackles against Auburn in the season opener but it appears as though that was not enough playing time for him.

“This thing isn’t for everybody,” head coach Chris Petersen told the Seattle Times on Thursday. “Some guys need more playing time than they’re getting. And so they’ve got to make decisions.”

The linebacker was considered a three-star recruit coming out of near by Kent, Washington in high school by 247Sports but was counted on to provide depth behind a trio of upperclassmen at the linebacker position. Williams’ departure leaves Tevis Bartlett as the starter on the outside in the team’s base personnel while sophomore Ryan Bowman figures to be the next guy in the pecking order to take more snaps along with Jake Wambaugh.

Williams’ older brother, DeShon, is a tight end on the team but he appears to be staying put with the Huskies for now.

Even with their first conference loss to Oregon last week, the Huskies remain in the hunt for the Pac-12 North title but will have their work cut out for them in Seattle on Saturday sans their backup linebacker when Colorado comes to town.

Michigan loses four-star 2017 LB Drew Singleton to transfer

Getty Images
Leave a comment

If you had Michigan in the “Next FBS Team to Lose a Player to Transfer” pool, collect your winnings.

247Sports.com was the first to report that Drew Singleton had asked for and been granted a release from his U-M scholarship, with his intention being to transfer. Mlive.com subsequently confirmed the initial report through a university spokesperson, and Singleton’s name has already been removed from the football team’s online roster.

No specific reason for the sophomore linebacker’s decision to transfer was given.

A four-star member of the Wolverines’ 2017 recruiting class, Singleton was rated as the No. 5 outside linebacker in the country; the No. 1 player at any position in the state of New Jersey; and the No. 79 player overall on 247Sports.com‘s composite board. Singleton was the highest-rated linebacker in U-M’s class that year, and only two other defensive signees in the 34-member class were rated higher.

After taking a redshirt his true freshman season, Singleton had played in four games this season before his decision to transfer. The vast majority of that action, however, came on special teams.

Report: four-star 2018 QB Jack Tuttle to transfer from Utah

Getty Images
1 Comment

Jack Tuttle was the highest-rated quarterback ever to sign with Utah.  Now, Tuttle will go down as the highest-rated quarterback to never play a down for the Utes.  Reportedly.

Citing multiple sources, 247Sports.com reported overnight that Tuttle intends to transfer from the Utes.  The Salt Lake Tribune wrote that “another source familiar with Tuttle’s thinking told The Tribune that he intends to leave.”

As is stands now, neither the player nor the football program has publicly commented on his status moving forward.

The California product was a four-star member of the Utes’ 2018 recruiting class, rated as the No. 8 pro-style quarterback in the country.  Tuttle enrolled early and was a part of Utah’s quarterback competition, although he entered the season as the team’s No. 3 signal-caller.

Tuttle didn’t play in any of the Utes’ first six games.

As for Tuttle’s future, 247Sports.com writes that “[p]ossible destinations include Ohio State, Duke, Vanderbilt, Texas A&M, and West Virginia.” Prior to signing with Utah, Tuttle held offers from, among others, Alabama, Arizona, Arizona State, LSU, Nebraska, USC and Wisconsin.