Ex-Florida DB arrested at Central Michigan after incident with police

Suffice to say, it hasn’t been the best of times for Brian Edwards over the past several months.

In August of this year, a month after entering the NCAA transfer database, Edwards completed his move from Florida to Central Michigan. At the time, it was confirmed that the defensive back would be pursuing a waiver that would give him immediate eligibility at CMU if granted; both the initial appeal and the appeal of the initial denial were both denied.

In May of this year, prior to his decision to transfer from the Gators, Edwards was arrested for battery of his girlfriend, but those charges were dropped in late June due to insufficient evidence as the alleged victim declined to cooperate with the state’s attorney office.  Unfortunately for the player, the legal woes have followed him from Gainesville to Mount Pleasant as the university’s student newspaper, Central Michigan Life, is reporting that Edwards was arrested following an on-campus altercation with a member of the school’s police department.

From the paper’s report:

Lt. Cameron Wassman of CMUPD said university police responded to the male subject “behaving erratically and threatening to harm himself.” As officers made contact, the man fled on foot.

He was chased by officers and eventually located in the East Complex residential restaurant, also known as Fresh Food Company. He “repeatedly resisted” attempts to comply, and a physical confrontation broke out.

“One CMU officer was treated for minor injuries from the incident; no other injuries occurred,” the CMUPD statement said. “The investigation is open and ongoing.

Edwards has officially been charged with disorderly person by jostling and resisting/obstructing a police officer.

The university is aware of the incident, but will not comment publicly as an investigation is ongoing.

Maryland hires George Helow to Mike Locksley’s staff

Maryland Terrapins football