Report: Utah State QB Jordan Love may transfer; Oklahoma a potential destination

Could Oklahoma make it four straight starting quarterbacks who began their collegiate careers somewhere other than Norman?

Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! Sports reported Monday that Utah State quarterback Jordan Love is considering a transfer away from the Aggies, provided he doesn’t make himself available for the 2020 NFL Draft as some expect.  If Love, who would be leaving the Mountain West school as a graduate transfer, does decide to remain at the collegiate level, Oklahoma is listed by Wetzel as a potential transfer destination.

Houston and Texas Tech are mentioned as well.  The Red Raiders are coached by Matt Wells, who was Love’s head coach the quarterback’s first three seasons at USU.

The 6-4, 225-pound Love passed for more than 3,000 yards each of the past two seasons, throwing 49 touchdowns versus 22 interceptions in that span.  He rushed for seven touchdowns a season ago as well, although he was held without one on the ground this season.

Some view Love as a likely first-round draft pick, which will obviously influence his decision.  In four career games against Power Five opponents, Love went 83-of-135 for 1,036 yards, four touchdowns and nine interceptions.  This season against LSU, he completed half of his 30 pass attempts in a loss to LSU, throwing for just 130 yards and three interceptions.

Oklahoma has started a transfer under center each of the past five seasons — Baker Mayfield (began his career at Texas Tech) in 2015-17, Kyler Murray (Texas A&M) in 2018 and Jalen Hurts (Alabama) in 2019.  Mayfield (HERE) and Murray (HERE) both won the Heisman Trophy — and went No. 1 overall in the 2018 and 2019 NFL drafts — and Hurts is a finalist for the award this season.

Bret Bielema reportedly interviewing for Colorado job

Bret Bielema is interviewing for the Colorado head coaching position, according to reports Monday from NFL Network and ESPN.

Bielema tried to get in on the Michigan State job that, obviously, went to Mel Tucker, so now he’s in the running for the job Tucker left.

The former Wisconsin and Arkansas head coach joined Bill Belichick‘s witness protection program after his 2017 Arkansas firing, working for a year as “consultant to the head coach” in New England. He was promoted to defensive line coach and reportedly told friends he was in the running to become the defensive coordinator after Greg Schiano stepped down, but Belichick wound up giving that job to himself.

He wound up following Joe Judge from Foxboro to the New York Giants, but now has apparently decided he’d rather be back in college than work as a position coach at the NFL level.

Bielema went 68-24 at Wisconsin before his 29-34 flameout at Arkansas. His teams famously stuck to a ground-and-pound philosophy that worked like peanut butter and jelly in Madison but peanut butter and salsa in Fayetteville. So, should Colorado be as interested in Bielema as he apparently is in them, his offensive philosophy would figure to be question one in the interview.

Mel Tucker reels in 3-star RB who delayed signing after Dantonio retirement