Nearly two months after returning as the Rutgers football head coach, Greg Schiano has put the finishing touches on his second first staff.
Tuesday, the Scarlet Knights announced that Adam Scheier has been hired as Schiano’s special teams coordinator. Scheier has spent the past two decades working with special teams in various capacities.
“Adam is an accomplished, veteran special teams coach who will be a great asset to our coaching staff,” the Rutgers football head coach said in a statement. “In our time working together, I saw how passionate Adam is about teaching and mentoring young men. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Erica and their children to our Rutgers family.”
Scheier has spent time as a special teams coordinator with three different FBS programs:
- Texas Tech (2018)
- Wake Forest (2014-16)
- Bowling Green (2009-13)
Last season, Scheier served as a special teams consultant at Mississippi State. In 2017, Scheier worked at Ohio State as a special teams quality control coach.
In Scheier’s lone season at OSU, Schiano was in the second of his three seasons as the Buckeyes’ defensive coordinator.
“I am fired up to be back home,” the Bronx native stated. “I have a tremendous amount of respect for coach Schiano and I look forward to working with him again. I appreciate the opportunity he has given me to coach at Rutgers in the great state of New Jersey.”
With this hiring, Schiano has now filled all 10 positions on his 10-man on-field coaching staff. The others whose hirings have already been announced are:
- Sean Gleeson — offensive coordinator (HERE)
- Nunzio Campanile — offensive assistant (HERE)
- Augie Hoffman, offensive assistant (HERE)
- Tiquan Underwood — wide receivers (HERE)
- Andrew Aurich — offensive line (HERE)
- Robb Smith, defensive coordinator (HERE)
- Jim Panagos — defensive line (HERE)
- Bob Fraser — linebackers coach (HERE)
- Fran Brown — co-defensive coordinator/secondary (HERE)