The race to replace Nick Marshall as Auburn’s starting quarterback is officially open. With Auburn getting started with spring practices on Tuesday, head coach Gus Malzahn lit the green light on the competition for four candidates for the starting job in the fall; Jeremy Johnson, Jason Smith, Tyler Queen and Sean White.
Johnson is believed to be the leading candidate for the starting job when it comes time for Malzahn to make a decision, but the head coach told reporters on Tuesday all four quarterbacks will get close to equal reps this spring. Last season saw Johnson receive playing time in seven games, and he performed well in his back-up role. Johnson completed 27 of 38 pass attempts for 436 yards and three touchdowns without an interception thrown, and he rushed for another touchdown. It was Johnson that started the season for the Tigers as Marshall sat out for disciplinary reasons, but he never was given a chance to truly challenge Marshall for the starting job. This year is a different story as the veteran and trusted Marshall has moved on and the audition for the next starting quarterback is starting up.
“The first few days of spring you want to make sure when you’re installing the base offense you give these guys enough reps,” Malzahn told reports Tuesday, as reported by Al.com. “All four quarterbacks, including [junior college transfer] Jason Smith, will get “fairly equal” snaps.”
Malzahn has seemed very high on what Smith can bring to the table, but this still feels like Johnson’s job to lose. Malzahn also suggested there is no timetable for a decision to be made, and it might be possible Smith could be moved to a different position of need if he does not win a job under center.
In addition to addressing Auburn’s quarterback competition, Malzhan also confirmed some previously reported roster changes. Linebacker Anthony Swain and punter Jimmy Hutchinson were each reported to be off the roster last week, and Malzahn confirmed that today.