Chris Beaty Indiana
Associated Press

Chris Beaty Memorial Fund set up to honor ex-Indiana defensive lineman gunned down Monday

Leave a comment

Chris Beaty may be gone, but the former Indiana football player won’t be soon forgotten.

It was reported Monday that Beaty “was one of two men shot and killed in separate incidents over the weekend as violence erupted in Downtown Indianapolis.” The 38-year-old Beaty was shot multiple times shortly before midnight local time Saturday and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Chris Beaty was a defensive lineman for the Indiana Hoosiers football team from 2000-04.

This week, Beaty’s nephew, Jared Thomas, set up a GoFundMe page to honor his uncle’s legacy.  The goal of the fundraising page, Thomas wrote, is to collect “donations in his memory to the Chris Beaty Memorial Scholarship Fund that will benefit Indiana University & Cathedral High School, his alma maters which he loved so dearly.”

As of this posting, more than $40,000 has been raised.

Despite being away from the Indiana football program as a player for nearly two decades, Beaty remained close to it.

HoosierHuddle.com wrote that “Beaty was still actively involved with IU football. He tweeted on April 26th a screenshot of head coach Tom AllenMark Deal and several other Indiana football alumni. He thanked Allen for checking in with the former players and said that IU football was in good hands.”

Included was a tweet from Beaty’s personal Twitter account.

“I am at a loss for words,” a statement from Allen began. “The news of the passing of Chris Beaty is just devastating. Since I returned home to coach at Indiana, Chris embraced me, encouraged me and supported me! His passion for life and Indiana Football energized me every time we were together. He was one of our first alumni that displayed his unwavering support for what we are building here at Indiana and how we are building it. I am so heartbroken for his family and he will be deeply missed by all those that were blessed to call him a friend! LEO”

Indiana will allow football players to return for voluntary on-campus workouts June 15

Indiana football
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Thanks to Indiana, we have yet another Power Five football program set to return to some semblance of normalcy.

Last month, the NCAA announced that it would allow schools to bring its student-athletes back to campus for voluntary workouts starting June 1.  The SEC subsequently confirmed its players would be permitted to start returning June 8.  Both Ohio State and Illinois from the Big Ten will be doing the same on the same date.  And, as far as that goes, so are ClemsonLouisville and Pitt.  Nebraska, meanwhile, has targeted June 1.

Wednesday, Indiana announced that select student-athletes, including some Hoosiers football players, will be permitted to return for workouts June 15.  Those workouts, of course, are voluntary.

From the school’s release:

The students’ returns will be staggered and include a reintegration phase before each student is able to participate in voluntary workouts at Indiana University athletic facilities.

The first group to start voluntary workouts will be members of the football team beginning June 15. In advance of starting workouts, this first group will go through a series of pre-participation protocols before they can be cleared to participate in voluntary workouts. Among other requirements, each student-athlete must complete a daily medical check and agree to abide by a series of CDC guidelines to complete the reintegration process and be cleared to participate in voluntary workouts.

“We cannot totally eliminate the risk,” said IU athletic director Fred Glass in a statement. “At least until there is a vaccine, there will be risk. What we can do is have the best doctors give us the best protocols and make sure they are strictly followed. That’s what we’ve done and what we are going to do.”

College Football in Coronavirus Quarantine: On this day in CFT history, including the life and legacy of Muhammad Ali remembered by Louisville football

college football
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The sports world, including college football, has essentially screeched to a halt as countries around the world battle the coronavirus pandemic. As such, there’s a dearth of college football news as spring practices have all but been canceled at every level of the sport. And there’s even some concern that the health issue could have an impact on the 2020 college football campaign.

In that vein, we thought it might be fun to go back through the CollegeFootballTalk archives that stretch back to 2009 and take a peek at what transpired in the sport on this date.

So, without further ado — ok, one further ado — here’s what happened in college football on June 4, by way of our team of CFT writers both past and present.

(P.S.: If any of our readers have ideas on posts they’d like to read during this college football hiatus, leave your suggestions in the comments section.  Mailbag, maybe?)

2019

THE HEADLINE: Kevin Warren introduced as Jim Delany’s successor as B1G commish
THE SYNOPSIS: Warren officially took over for Delany this year.  And became the first black commissioner of a Power Five conference.  And, amidst our country’s turmoil, announced the creation of a B1G Anti-Hate and Anti-Racism Coalition.

2018

THE HEADLINE: Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray selected ninth overall in MLB Draft
THE SYNOPSIS: Murray, despite that lofty draft status, remained true to the Sooners.  And claimed the Heisman Trophy later that same year.

2016

THE HEADLINE: Life, legacy of Muhammad Ali remembered by Louisville football
THE SYNOPSIS: The Greatest, a Louisville native, lost his lengthy battle with Parkinson’s late the night before.

2015

THE HEADLINE: Mike Aresco still stumping for AAC in Power 5 conversation
THE SYNOPSIS: Five years later, the conference that likes to brand itself as part of the “Power Six” remains a Group of Five league.

2012

THE HEADLINE: Jim Delany does a playoff 180, supports four best teams
THE SYNOPSIS: This was a HUGE development when it came to the College Football Playoff.

2012

THE HEADLINE: Peeing & fleeing nets indefinite suspensions for Ohio State duo
THE SYNOPSIS: “Peeing & fleeing.” Still cracks me up.  Then again, my 12-year-old self is easily amused.

2011

THE HEADLINE: Jim Tressel on Michigan: ‘Nov. 26th we’re going to kick their ass!’
THE SYNOPSIS: That pronouncement came after the Sweatervest “resigned.” Alas, the prediction proved inaccurate as U-M beat Ohio State 40-34 in Ann Arbor.  Since then?  Eight straight wins for the Buckeyes in The Game.

Stanford transfer Dylan Powell granted a sixth season of eligibility by the NCAA at Indiana

Indiana football
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It was a banner day on the eligibility front for one Indiana football player.

Dylan Powell announced on Twitter Monday that he has been granted a sixth season of eligibility by the NCAA.  The Indiana football player already had a fifth season that he could use in 2020.  The additional year will allow the offensive lineman to take the field in 2021 as well.

“I just got word that the NCAA approved my request for another year of eligibility,” Powell wrote. “All the glory to God! I can’t wait to spend these next two seasons playing with my brothers and striving to take Indiana football to another level! LEO”

Powell actually began his collegiate career at Stanford.  A three-star 2016 signee, the Missouri native was the No. 14 player regardless of position in the Show Me State.

As a true freshman, Powell took a redshirt.  In 2017 and 2018, he combined to appear in 19 games.  In 2018, he started three games at guard and center.  That same season, he earned second-team All-Academic Pac-12 honors.

Scheduled to a be a starting guard for the Cardinal, Powell instead missed the entire 2019 campaign because of a torn labrum.  That, plus the redshirt season, earned him another season of eligibility.

Earlier this offseason, Powell enrolled in classes at Indiana and participated in spring football practice.

Powell is actually the second former Stanford player added to the Indiana football roster.  In mid-April, the Hoosiers confirmed the addition of cardinal defensive lineman Jovan Swann.  Both transfers will project as starters for the Big Ten school.

Tom Allen addresses ‘devastating’ shooting death of former Indiana defensive lineman Chris Beaty

Indiana football
Getty Images
Leave a comment

A tragedy that struck the Indiana football program has drawn a response from its head coach.

It was reported Monday that Chris Beaty “was one of two men shot and killed in separate incidents over the weekend as violence erupted in Downtown Indianapolis.” The 38-year-old Beaty was shot multiple times shortly before midnight local time Saturday and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Beaty was a defensive lineman for the Indiana Hoosiers football team from 2000-04.

Monday afternoon, Tom Allen addressed the tragic development.

“I am at a loss for words. The news of the passing of Chris Beaty is just devastating. Since I returned home to coach at Indiana, Chris embraced me, encouraged me and supported me! His passion for life and Indiana Football energized me every time we were together. He was one of our first alumni that displayed his unwavering support for what we are building here at Indiana and how we are building it. I am so heartbroken for his family and he will be deeply missed by all those that were blessed to call him a friend! LEO”

Despite being away from the Indiana football program for nearly two decades, Beaty remained close to it.

HoosierHuddle.com wrote that “Beaty was still actively involved with IU football. He tweeted on April 26th a screenshot of head coach Tom AllenMark Deal and several other Indiana football alumni. He thanked Allen for checking in with the former players and said that IU football was in good hands.”

Included was a tweet from Beaty’s personal Twitter account.