Longhorn Network contract details

To put it lightly, there has been a lot of fuss made over Texas’ Longhorn Network, with an extra special fussiness over the LHN and ESPN’s desire to air up to 18 high school sporting events annually.

The college football power couple officially eloped back in January, and at the time, minor details about the network’s programming intentions were released.

But, for your reading pleasure, here is the full contract between ESPN and Texas (note: powered by Google Docs).

A few items of interest:

• As has been stated before, in the event that Texas is no longer a part of the Big 12 (sound familiar?), ESPN will have 60 days to re-negotiate their television rights coverage. If another network makes an offer after those 60 days, ESPN will have 48 hours to up the anty.
  • Texas will work with ESPN to try and gain the broadcasting rights the University Scholastic League (UIL) championships following the end of their current television  contract (with FOX Sports Net). If the LHN were to be allowed by the NCAA to broadcast high school games — that idea has been placed on a one-year hiatus — it currently could not air any UIL games or events.
  •  As we’ve also noted before, Texas also has the right to replaced “any on-air talent [who] does not reflect the quality and reputation desired by UT for the network based on inappropriate statements made or actions taken by the talent.” In other words, don’t talk smack about Texas when you’re working for Texas.
  • If the Big 12 is able to cement a conference network, it doesn’t look like UT will be involved. From the contract: “Neither IMG nor UT will during the Term and within the Territory i. participate in or permit the development of another ‘Longhorns Network’ or similar network enterprise (regardless of name) related to UT”
  •  A few points of note have been “reserved” and not made public.

Some of these tidbits were already known, but it’s pretty clear that Texas has developed its contract with ESPN to cover plan B, which would involve a route of football independence. You know, just in case the Big 12 disbanded.

Texas will be reaping the benefits of two incomes — one from the LHN, and one from the Big 12’s television rights deal; the two will make UT far and away the most profitable program in the country (not that it already wasn’t). But the fact that UT could go independent and maintain a highly profitable program is telling as well.

(contract thanks go to TheMidnightYell)