Updated: Tressel gets five-year show-cause as part of NCAA sanctions on Ohio State

As JT touched on earlier today, Ohio State was prepared to face the NCAA’s ruling today on multiple allegations of impermissible benefits to players.

That information was set to be released at 3 p.m. ET today. However, the Columbus Dispatch has reported that the football program will face the following penalties:

• A one-year bowl ban after the 2012 season. Ohio State will also not be eligible for next year’s Big Ten championship game, a la USC and the Pac-12 CG this year.
  • A loss of  four more football scholarships over the next three years. Ohio State’s had already voluntarily given up five scholarships over that span.
  • An additional year of probation on top of OSU’s self-imposed two-year probation. Accordingly, any violations committed through the 2013 season could draw harsher sanctions.
  • A show-cause penalty will be handed to former head coach Jim Tressel for failing to report knowledge of impermissible benefits given to players before the 2010 season, which resulted in ineligible players participating during that season. The how-cause means any school that hires Tressel could be subject to sanctions by the NCAA.

The NCAA later released its statement on the findings from the Committee on Infractions. Most of it is already well-known information, but there is one new point of interest: The COI notes that Tressel had “at least four different opportunities to report” information of his athletes receiving benefits, but did not. The result is a show-cause, as mentioned above, for five years. Suffice to say, Tressel’s college coaching days are probably done.

You can also read the NCAA’s report HERE.

We are surprised and disappointed with the NCAA’s decision,” said AD Gene Smith in a statement.  “However, we have decided not to appeal the decision because we need to move forward as an institution.  We recognize that this is a challenging time in intercollegiate athletics.  Institutions of higher education must move to higher ground, and Ohio State embraces its leadership responsibilities and affirms its long-standing commitment to excellence in education and integrity in all it does.”

Ohio State self-imposed a reduction of five scholarships last month after a joint investigation between the school and the NCAA uncovered more violations involving a booster (Robert DiGeronimo) paying players cash at a charity event as well as overpaying them for a job he provided.

The new investigation came after Ohio State met in front of the COI in mid August over allegations of impermissible benefits that resulted in five ineligible players participating in the 2010 season. Ohio State vacated the 2010 season and its Big Ten championship in response to the NCAA’s NOA.

UPDATED 4:03 p.m. ET: New Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer has released the following statement:

“I agreed to become the Head Football Coach at The Ohio State University because Shelley and I are Ohio natives, I am a graduate of this wonderful institution and served in this program under a great coach. I understand the academic and athletic traditions here and will give great effort to continue those traditions.

“It is still my goal to hire excellent coaches, recruit great student-athletes who want to be a part of this program and to win on and off the field. The NCAA penalties will serve as a reminder that the college experience does not include the behavior that led to these penalties. I expect all of us to work hard to teach and develop young student-athletes to grow responsibly and to become productive citizens in their communities upon graduation.”