Bobby Petrino

Updated: Bobby Petrino placed on administrative leave

65 Comments

What began as a one-man motorcycle accident has turned into a full-fledged scandal with Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino.

The result of that scandal — for now — has resulted in Petrino being placed on paid administrative leave while his future with the program rests in the hands of his boss, athletic director Jeff Long.

Long called a press conference at just before 10 p.m. this evening to address the new details surrounding Petrino’s motorcycle accident on Sunday, which include the revelation that a female passenger, UA football employee Jennifer Dorrell, was on the bike during the accident.

Previous statements by both Petrino and UA claimed the coach was the only person involved in the incident. Dorrell was previously a volleyball player for UA and later worked for the Razorbacks Foundation. She was promoted student-athlete development coordinator for football late last month.

In a statement released this evening, Petrino acknowledged a “previously inappropriate relationship”, but didn’t expand much beyond that.

Below is Petrino’s statement in its entirety. Petrino was not present at the press conference and was seen leaving campus earlier this evening.

“The state police report provides an accurate description of my accident, which includes details that had not publicly come to light prior to the report being issued. I regret that I have not publicly acknowledged a passenger on the vehicle. I have been in constant pain, medicated and the circumstances involving the wreck have come out in bits and pieces. That said I certainly had a concern about Jessica Dorrell’s name being revealed. In my press conference, I referred to her simply as “a lady.” My concern was to protect my family and a previous inappropriate relationship from becoming public. In hindsight, I showed a serious mistake in judgment when I chose not to be more specific about those details. Today, I’ve acknowledged this previous inappropriate relationship with my family and those within the athletic department administration.

“I apologize to my wife, Becky, and our four children, Chancellor (David) Gearhart, Jeff Long, the Board of Trustees, University administration, my coaching staff, student-athletes and the entire state of Arkansas. I have been humbled by the outpouring of concern and get well wishes. I apologize to the Razorback Nation for the attention my actions have brought to the University of Arkansas and our program. I will fully cooperate with the University throughout this process and my hope is to repair my relationships with my family, my Athletic Direction, the Razorback Nation and remain the head coach of the Razorbacks.”

That last line will be determined after Long finishes an internal review of the matter. Long said this evening he received a phone call from coach Petrino at around 3:12 this afternoon with “information he had not previously shared. That information was that there was another passenger on the motorcycle” which was identified to be Dorrell.

Long then said he met with Petrino at about 7:15 this evening, during which time Petrino admitted he had not been completely forthcoming with all the information regarding the Sunday accident. At about 8:30, Long explained that he placed Petrino on paid administrative leave until the review is completed. Assistant coach Taver Johnson will be the program’s interim coach.

“We have high expectations for our coaches… certainly I’m disappointed,” Long said. “I brought him [Petrino] here.”

The AD admitted he was “surprised” that Petrino had not been completely forthcoming about the details of the motorcycle accident. Whether that surprise results in Petrino’s termination remains to be seen. There is a part of Petrino’s contract that specifies the coach could be terminated or punished for “engaging in conduct, as solely determined by the University, which is clearly contrary to the character and responsibilities of a person occupying the position of Head Football Coach or which negatively or adversely affects the reputation of the University or UAF’s athletics programs in any way.”

Based on that language, Petrino could have been fired four years ago for the way he left the Atlanta Falcons.

“Trust is important in any relationship,” Long said.

And Petrino has compromised the trust of many on a personal and professional level with this latest lie.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Michigan reportedly adds ex-Vikings QBs coach as offensive analyst

scott-turner
Minnesota Vikings
Leave a comment

Jim Harbaugh has added more experience and another “name” to his Michigan football staff.

According to NFL.com‘s Albert Breer, Harbaugh has hired Scott Turner as an offensive analyst.  Harbaugh’s nine-man on-field coaching staff is already full, but Turner could be in line to join that group if/when the NCAA approves a 10th assistant.

Turner, the son of former Washington, Oakland and San Diego head coach Norv Turner, spent the past three seasons as the quarterbacks coach of the Minnesota Vikings.

Turner has spent the past six seasons in the NFL.  His last job at the collegiate level came as the wide receivers coach at Pittsburgh in 2010.

It was previously reported that Harbaugh had, controversially in the eyes of some, hired former NFL offensive coordinator Michael Johnson Sr. to an undetermined off-field position.  Johnson, the father of the top-rated dual-threat quarterback in the Class of 2019, ultimately took an on-field job at Oregon.

Montell Cozart becomes third Kansas QB to leave in two months

NORMAN, OK - OCTOBER 29:  Quarterback Montell Cozart #2 of the Kansas Jayhawks looks to throw against the Oklahoma Sooners October 29, 2016 at Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium in Norman, Oklahoma. The Sooners defeated the Jayhawks 56-3. (Photo by Brett Deering/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

If it wasn’t clear before, it is now — Kansas’ quarterback room will have a decidedly different look this coming season.

On his personal Twitter account Tuesday afternoon, Montell Cozart announced his decision to transfer from the Jayhawks and finish his playing career elsewhere. The quarterback described it as “a tough decision that brought along a lot of prayer, sleepless nights, and meaningful talks with my family.”

Cozart started five games as a true sophomore in 2014, then started three of the first four games of the 2015 season before a shoulder injury ultimately sidelined him for the remainder of the year.  After starting seven games this past season, he lost his job just past the midway point and never got it back.

He received a medical hardship waiver for the 2015 season, giving the graduate another year of eligibility he can use immediately in 2017.

Early last month, Ryan Willis announced his decision to transfer from Kansas to Virginia Tech. Less than four weeks later, Deondre Ford followed his former teammate out the door as well.

Redshirt freshman Carter Stanley took over as the starter for the three last games of the 2016 season and is pencilled in as the starter heading into the offseason. KU also added Peyton Bender, a transfer from Washington State by way of the junior college ranks who’s eligible to play immediately in 2017 and will pose a stiff test for the incumbent.

Virginia confirms addition of Notre Dame transfer John Montelus

CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA - NOVEMBER 10:  A general view of the game between the Virginia Cavaliers and the Miami Hurricanes at Scott Stadium on November 10, 2012 in Charlottesville, Virginia.  (Photo by Geoff Burke/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Two months after deciding to leave Notre Dame, John Montelus officially has a new college football home.

On its official Twitter account Tuesday, Virginia announced that Montelus has signed his grant-in-aid papers with the university and will play his final season for the Cavaliers.  As a graduate transfer, the offensive lineman is eligible to play immediately.

Over his four seasons with the Fighting Irish, Montelus played in just six games. A four-star 2013 recruit, Montelus was rated as the No. 8 guard in the country and the the No. 1 player at any position in the state of Massachusetts.

Montelus is actually one of two Irish linemen joining the Cavaliers as transfers, with Colin McGovern confirming last month that he’ll be doing the same. UVa. has yet to officially announce his addition to the roster.

Starting D-lineman one of two dismissed by Duke

DURHAM, NC - SEPTEMBER 19:  Clayton Thorson #18 of the Northwestern Wildcats tries to get away from Marquies Price #91 of the Duke Blue Devils during their game at Wallace Wade Stadium on September 19, 2015 in Durham, North Carolina.  (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

In the midst of spring practice, Duke has seen its defensive line take a twin hit unrelated to any health issues.

Tuesday afternoon, the football program announced that a pair of sophomore defensive linemen, Brandon Boyce and Marquies Price (pictured), have been dismissed by David Cutcliffe.  Other than failing to meet the standards of a Blue Devil football player, no specific reason for the dismissals were given.

Both had been expected to contribute significantly this coming season.

Price started all 11 games in which he played during the 2016 season, and started 14 in his career.  His six quarterback hurries last year were second on the team.

Boyce played in 21 games during his time with the Blue Devils.  Eight of those appearances came in 2016.

In mid-August, it was announced that Boyce was one of two football players suspended for the first three games of last season.  Unspecified violations of team rules was the only reason given for that punitive measure.