An attempted escape from a house party back in May landed Notre Dame quarterback Tommy Rees in legal hot water, but his road to playing this fall has become more of a minor detour than a major blockage.
Via the South Bend Tribune, Irish coach Brian Kelly said Monday that Rees and senior linebacker Carlo Calabrese are cleared for both workouts and summer classes. Both were arrested after police broke up an off-campus house party last month.
“They are cleared to stay in school. They’ve been cleared from me to participate in all workouts,” Kelly said. “When all of these things come together, we’re not going to wait a long time. We’re going to try to get this thing to the point where we know exactly where they are. We want to move and get all of this done.”
Rees tried to evade police once the party was interrupted, but instead wound up with four misdemeanor charges — he has a hearing on July 17 — while Calabrese was hit with an intimidation charge.
“We’ve gotten all of the reports. I’ve gotten a chance to meet with both of them, and we’ll get this thing rolling,” Kelly added.
Given that Rees is already cleared for such activities, it’s not too much of a stretch to think he’ll be back in the starting quarterback competition during preseason camp.
Well here’s a bit of a shocker for you this morning. UCLA running back Myles Jack has reportedly withdrawn from UCLA and will prepare to enter the NFL Draft in 2016. The news was first reported, via Twitter, by Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated.
Jack has played linebacker and fullback for the Bruins, and his decision to turn pro now comes off feeling a bit strange. Head coach Jim Mora certainly questions the decision by Jack.
“I think it’s very risky to do this. There’s a lot of speculation to ….where he fits,” Mora explained, via Thamel. “I’ve been in 25 Draft rooms. I’ve never seen a guys taken off (two games of junior tape)… Myles’ talent is without question. I hope he’s put enough out there where they can get a true evaluation.”
Jack suffered a season-ending knee injury last month in a practice. The injury led USC Athletics Director Pat Haden to send him a letter wishing him well in a sign of good sportsmanship between conference and crosstown rivals. Perhaps the season-ending injury led Jack to consider the consequences of returning in 2016 in a UCLA uniform, with players not being compensated for their play. The question then becomes if Jack is a good enough talent to go in round one, or even round two, considering the latest injury situation for him.
Well, here is the instant opinion of our friend Josh Norris of Rotoworld and an NFL Draft analyst…
Jack was a two-time second team All-Pac-12 selection and Pac-12 Defensive and Offensive Freshman of the Year in 2013.
Virginia Tech has been playing just about the whole season without starting quarterback Michael Brewer after the Hokies signal-caller broke his collarbone in the first game of the season. Now, Brewer is on his way back to the field. Brewer has been medically cleared to return to practice in Blacksburg. It may still be another few weeks until he gets back in a game for Virginia Tech.
Brewer broke his collarbone in Virginia Tech’s season-opening loss to Ohio State. Once he left the game, it seemed the Hokies were unable to give the defending national champions much of a fight for a second straight season. He was originally expected to miss eight to 10 weeks of action, which would have meant a return for a Halloween game against Boston College as the earliest likely date. Virginia Tech has a bye week after the Boston College game, meaning Brewer could then be available for a Thursday night division game against Georgia Tech on November 12. Considering all of that, the chance Brewer might be available to play this Friday night against N.C. State is quite a pleasant surprise for a Virginia Tech team in need of some help after dropping to 2-3 after a second straight loss last weekend. Andy Bitter of The Roanoke Times says Brewer could be a gametime decision for Frank Beamer.
The outlook is not quite as possible for Hokies running back Marshawn Williams. Williams will be out for the rest of the season after reinjuring his left knee in practice in late September. It is the same knee that was surgically repaired last December. Williams can use this season as his redshirt season as he has not played in a game this season. He will still have three years of eligibility remaining when he returns to the team next fall.