Oklahoma loses lineman, gains back three suspended players

Oklahoma is going through more personnel shifts with fall practices right around the corner. And, generally, Wednesday’s news was more promising than what Monday had to offer the Sooners.

But, we’ll start with the bad news first. Senior center Ben Habern has decided to hang up the cleats due to lingering neck and back injuries. Habern started 30 games during his career, including six starts last year and 14 in 2010.

“Our coaching staff knows this was a difficult decision for Ben,” Bob Stoops said in a statement. “Ben has been a consummate leader for our team, both on and off the field. We appreciate the toughness that Ben has displayed, and we wish him the very best as he completes his education at OU.”

Now, the better news: suspended wide receivers Trey Franks and Jaz Reynolds, along with defensive back Quentin Hayes, have been reinstated to the team for practice only. The three will remain suspended indefinitely from playing until further notice. The trio, along with receiver Kameel Jackson, were suspended in May for violation of team rules.

Jackson’s issue turned out to be an academic one and his suspension will be reviewed at the end of the current academic session; the other three were removed from scholarship over the summer while they attempted to work their way back into Stoops’ good graces.

Which apparently they’ve done. Well, sort of.

Infant son of D’Onta Foreman passed away during Texas’ 2016 season

As a father five times over, I simply can’t imagine doing what D'Onta Foreman did last season.

On the field, the Texas running back was an absolute beast.  He led the nation in rushing yards per game at 184.4 — next closest was San Diego State’s Donnell Pumphrey at 152.4 — while his 2,028 total rushing yards were second to Pumphrey (2,133).  On Nov. 5 against Texas Tech, Foreman ran for 341 yards, the third-highest total in Longhorns history.

In a profile that appeared on the NFL Network, Foreman revealed that, unbeknownst to those outside of the football program, his girlfriend gave birth to a baby boy on Sept. 16.  His son was born premature and weighed just 15 ounces at birth; 50 days later, the infant passed away — not long after Foreman’s historic performance against Tech.

In fact, Foreman learned of his son’s death as he was driving back to the hospital in Texas City after the game to be with him.

From HookEm.com‘s transcription of his interview with the NFL Network:

I always dreamed of having a boy and naming him after me and you know, just seeing him grow. You know, just loving him.

“He was a fighter, you know. He would like fight and he’s going to make it and everything will be fine.”

“I really didn’t know how to feel. I was like numb. I was driving and then I was crying while I was driving. I was crushed and I was so hurt. I feel like something was taken away from me before I even really got the chance to experience it.

While nothing can ever replace Foreman’s loss, there is a silver lining in his story as the back’s girlfriend is again pregnant.  The due date?  The same day D’Onta Vanton Foreman Jr. was born.

Foreman Sr. is one of the players who are part of the pool for the NFL draft, which will take place this Thursday in Philadelphia.

Via Twitter, safety Jordan Fogal says he’s leaving Utah