It looks like the college playing days for former Miami safety Ray-Ray Armstrong are officially over. After being dismissed from the Hurricanes program for unspecified reasons in July, Armstrong has had his eligibility denied at his new stop, Faulkner University.
The NAIA program made the announcement Tuesday evening. The reason behind the move was because UM had declared Armstrong ineligible for NCAA competition. Per the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, here’s the rule from the NAIA:
“Any student who has completed eligibility or who has been permanently banned in a given sport at any four-year institution, either NAIA-affiliated or other, shall have no eligibility remaining in that sport within the NAIA… Such a student cannot regain eligibility in that sport at an NAIA institution.”
Armstrong still had eligibility left — he had been attending Faulkner for the past month and was just one class shy of a sports management degree — but was apparently banned from playing football. Though UM never gave a reason why Armstrong was given the boot, it’s believed that there were more NCAA-related issues with him. Armstrong was suspended for the first four games of the 2011 season for receiving impermissible benefits from ex-booster Nevin Shapiro, but has not been punished by the NCAA for anything else since.
A statement from Faulkner said that Miami attempted to get Armstrong reinstated so he could play, but the NCAA ruled that the school did not have the authority to do so.
“We’re disappointed in the ruling, obviously,” Faulkner athletics director and head football coach Brent Barker said in a release. “We respect the great job the NAIA Eligibility Center does for our student-athletes, but we thought Ray Ray’s situation was unique and unprecedented, and deserved a positive ruling. I most of all hate it for him, because he has fit in so well on our campus with our student body and has really been a leader in our locker room with a lot of our younger players.”
Armstrong previously tried to file an injunction against Miami that would allow him practice until the NCAA determined if he violated any bylaws. That injunction was later dropped.
Michigan State has added another one-month extension to the contract of suspended football staffer Curtis Blackwell as the school continues to investigate several sexual assaults involving the Spartans.
A schools spokesman confirmed the extension to the Detroit Free Press on Friday.
The move comes on the heels of a previous one-month contract extension for Blackwell that came at the end of March. His official title is that of the team’s director of college advancement and performance and he was hired by head coach Mark Dantonio back in 2013 after running a number of major recruiting camps in the region.
Blackwell was originally suspended back in February as the school and police began multiple investigations related to sexual assaults. According to reports, one Michigan State staff member had an arrest warrant issued for obstructing an investigation but he was never publicly identified by the school.
Probes into the matter, including a Title IX investigation, remain ongoing in East Lansing. The football team recently wrapped up practice missing over a dozen players in the spring game so it appears this wide-ranging scandal that has embroiled the Spartans is not going to be over anytime soon.
After years and years of meandering through the court system, former USC running backs coach Todd McNair finally has his day in court with the NCAA.
ESPN is reporting that the two parties will meet in Los Angeles County Superior Court on April 18, 2018. The trial will finally get underway next year after nearly a decade of appeals on both sides.
McNair was the Trojans’ running backs coach during the glory days under Pete Carroll and responsible for coaching or recruiting many of the team’s top players. He was one of the few links to the program that the NCAA cited when determining that former star Reggie Bush received extra benefits, later leading to brutal sanctions back in 2010. McNair was given a one-year show-cause as a result of the Committee on Infractions findings and never coached again after the school let his contract expire shortly thereafter.
That wasn’t the end of the story however, as McNair later filed a defamation lawsuit against the NCAA in which he accused the association of violating protocol and showing bias against himself and the program in order to level unprecedented sanctions. Documents in the case have continued to seep out that have given credence to McNair’s case and the NCAA’s lawyers have fought bitterly at every turn in order to prevent the trial from actually getting underway.
Those efforts were unsuccessful however and it appears an already nasty legal battle is still not over. It remains to be seen if the trial will even happen, as a settlement could eventually take place between now and next April. If it does indeed go in front of a jury though, it just might be one of the most fascinating insights into one of the biggest NCAA scandals of the past few decades.
Thursday may have been a high point for the Texas Tech football program upon learning that former quarterback Patrick Mahomes was taken in the top 10 of the 2017 NFL Draft.
On Friday afternoon though, the Red Raiders dipped right back down as star wide receiver Jonathan Giles took to Twitter to announce that he was leaving the program and transferring out of Lubbock.
Giles was a Biletnikoff Award semifinalist a season ago after catching 69 passes for 1,158 yards and 13 touchdowns. Those numbers led the team in each category despite trailing off a bit down the stretch as Tech missed out on a bowl game.
Playing time could have been a big factor in the decision to leave the program as both Cameron Batson and Keke Coutee emerged as the top receiving targets and Giles was relegated to second-team status coming out of spring practice.
Tech’s Air Raid system and NFL quarterbacks had a lot to do with Giles’ big numbers but it’s fairly rare to see such highly touted and productive wideouts hit the transfer markets. While the decision probably isn’t what some Red Raiders fans wanted to hear on Friday, the receiver probably won’t be lacking for options when it comes to his next stop.
Bad news in college football is typically reserved for Friday and it appears the Pitt Panthers just got a taste of some.
Per Pittsburgh Tribune-Review beat writer Jerry DiPaola, head coach Pat Narduzzi has dismissed starting defensive tackle Jeremiah Taleni for disciplinary reasons.
Taleni emerged as a starter down the stretch for the Panthers and will be a big loss up front for the team as they already have to replace the stellar production from the soon-to-be-drafted Ejuan Price.
No further comments were given when the school confirmed the news so it might be a while before we find out what led to Taleni’s dismissal and whether he plays college football at all next season.