2013 Tide commit again arrested on rape charge

The convoluted story of a verbal commitment to Alabama’s 2013 recruiting class has taken yet another damaging twist, with the 19-year-old facing his second serious legal charge this month.

According to the Mobile Press-Register, Spanish Fort (Ala.) high schooler Deon “D.J.” Johnson has been charged with first-degree rape and booked into the Baldwin County Correctional facility.  He is being held without bond.

On Sept. 6, Johnson was arrested on charges of second-degree rape and second-degree sodomy.  The only details released at the time of the first arrest were that the alleged victim was a juvenile and her parents had notified authorities.

A police official told the Press-Register that this alleged victim is not the same victim in the first incident.

“It was not related whatsoever to the first case,” Daphne Police Lt. Jud Beedy said. “It was a new victim. She contacted another law enforcement agency, and they referred her to us. We’ve been pursuing it for a few weeks with the District Attorney’s Office and the Department of Human Resources. We discovered enough evidence to get a warrant for his arrest.”

Here’s a description from the paper regarding the differences between first- and second-degree rape in the state of Alabama:

Alabama law defines second-degree rape as having intercourse with someone younger than 16 but older than 12, as long at the defendant is at least two years older than the victim.

A defendent is charged with first-degree rape, according to state law, if “he or she engages in sexual intercourse with a member of the opposite sex by forcible compulsion;” or “he or she engages in sexual intercourse with a member of the opposite sex who is incapable of consent by reason of being physically helpless or mentally incapacitated;” or “he or she, being 16 years or older, engages in sexual intercourse with a member of the opposite sex who is less than 12 years old.”

First-degree rape is a Class-A felony, which could carry a life sentence.

The paper notes that “Johnson… has remained a student at Spanish Fort since his first arrest and has been eligible to play football.”  He did not play in the first two games of the season, but did take the field for the first time in 2012 this past weekend.  He was arrested at his high school Tuesday afternoon.

How these very serious and significant charges — if they even have any merit — will impact his recruitment on the part of the Tide remains unclear.

Rivals.com has Johnson rated as a three-star prospect, ranked as the No. 13 player at any position in the state of Alabama.  As a junior last season, Johnson had 63 receptions and 19 touchdown catches.

In addition to the Tide, Johnson also held offers from, among others, LSU, Auburn and Mississippi State.

Infant son of D’Onta Foreman passed away during Texas’ 2016 season

As a father five times over, I simply can’t imagine doing what D'Onta Foreman did last season.

On the field, the Texas running back was an absolute beast.  He led the nation in rushing yards per game at 184.4 — next closest was San Diego State’s Donnell Pumphrey at 152.4 — while his 2,028 total rushing yards were second to Pumphrey (2,133).  On Nov. 5 against Texas Tech, Foreman ran for 341 yards, the third-highest total in Longhorns history.

In a profile that appeared on the NFL Network, Foreman revealed that, unbeknownst to those outside of the football program, his girlfriend gave birth to a baby boy on Sept. 16.  His son was born premature and weighed just 15 ounces at birth; 50 days later, the infant passed away — not long after Foreman’s historic performance against Tech.

In fact, Foreman learned of his son’s death as he was driving back to the hospital in Texas City after the game to be with him.

From HookEm.com‘s transcription of his interview with the NFL Network:

I always dreamed of having a boy and naming him after me and you know, just seeing him grow. You know, just loving him.

“He was a fighter, you know. He would like fight and he’s going to make it and everything will be fine.”

“I really didn’t know how to feel. I was like numb. I was driving and then I was crying while I was driving. I was crushed and I was so hurt. I feel like something was taken away from me before I even really got the chance to experience it.

While nothing can ever replace Foreman’s loss, there is a silver lining in his story as the back’s girlfriend is again pregnant.  The due date?  The same day D’Onta Vanton Foreman Jr. was born.

Foreman Sr. is one of the players who are part of the pool for the NFL draft, which will take place this Thursday in Philadelphia.

Via Twitter, safety Jordan Fogal says he’s leaving Utah