What, you thought (hoped?) you’d get through another day without an update on one of the most bizarre stories the sports world has seen in recent years?
Appearing on NBC’s Today show Tuesday, the woman who served as the public “face” of Manti Te’o‘s faux girlfriend in a bizarrely elaborate hoax claimed she “never met Te’o… never spoke with… never exchanged words, tweets” with the former Notre Dame linebacker.
Diane O’Meara (pictured), who the world had previously known as Te’o’s dead girlfriend Lennay Kekua, confirmed that she went to high school with Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the alleged “mastermind” behind the hoax. O’Meara claimed that Tuiasosopo had stalked her via Facebook for several years and had stolen photos of her that were ultimately used as the public face of Kekua, who Te’o had built an online relationship with and who supposedly succumbed to leukemia in September of last year.
O’Meara only learned she was a bit player in Tuiasosopo’s alleged hoax when she was contacted by writers from Deadspin.com, which broke the story earlier this month.
In the interview, O’Meara stated that “Ronny has called and not only confessed, but he has also apologized.” An apology, though, doesn’t go far enough for a woman unwittingly dragged into Tuiasosopo’s tangled web.
“I don’t think there’s anything he could say to me that would fix this,” the 23-year-old Los Angeles marketing executive said.
Tuiasosopo and his family have hinted that they could speak publicly this week for the first time, although that’s far from a certainty given the fluid nature of the situation. Te’o, who sat down for an off-camera interview late last week, is expected to have an on-camera interview with Katie Couric this week. Te’o has denied he was participant in the hoax, although he has acknowledged “catering” his stories about Kekua.
For the entire O’Meara interview, click on the video below.
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
One member of the Syracuse football program has had his wrist publicly slapped in connection to an in-game incident over the weekend.
In the first quarter of the Week 8 win over Boston College in Chestnut Hill, Orange quarterback Eric Dungey threw an interception to the Eagles’ William Harris and ultimately tackled Harris on the visiting team’s sidelines. Or, more specifically, Dungey slammed Harris to the ground and, eventually, pushed another BC player into some equipment.
That was part of a brief brouhaha that was quickly defused, but not before a ‘Cuse staffer appeared to put his hands on Harris as well.
That staffer has subsequently been identified as Brad Wittke, the football program’s director of operations. That staffer has also been publicly reprimanded for his role in the incident.
“I hold all members of our athletics program to highest standard of conduct, and support the Atlantic Coast Conference’s commitment to sportsmanship,” athletic director John Wildhack said in a statement. “I’ve spoken with Brad and he fully understands that his actions were not appropriate.”
“I apologize to William Harris, Coach Addazio and the entire Boston College football team for my actions Saturday,” Wittke said in his statement. “While trying to prevent the situation from becoming worse I made contact with William, causing him to fall to the ground. I take responsibility for that and regret that it happened.”
Whether the public reprimand will be enough to satisfy BC head coach Steve Addazio, who called for the ACC to look into the situation, is unclear.
After a nearly two-year absence, it appears Demarre Kitt is headed back to the FBS level.
On his personal Twitter account, Kitt announced that he has committed to Colorado State and continuing his collegiate playing career with the Rams. Since leaving Clemson in December of 2014, Kitt has played for at least two different junior colleges — Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College and Ventura (Calif.) Junior College.
In his lone season at Clemson, Kitt had five receptions for 47 yards. A four-star member of Clemson’s 2014 recruiting class, Kitt was rated as the No. 16 receiver in the country and the No. 11 player at any position in the state of Georgia.
As Kitt will be coming in as a JUCO transfer, the wide receiver will be eligible to play immediately in 2017. He’ll have two seasons of eligibility remaining.
Jim Harbaugh has been known for using a bit of hyperbole from time to time but it sounds as though he was really, really, really upset at a call in the final few minutes of No. 2 Michigan’s 41-8 win over Illinois on Saturday.
Wolverines quarterback John O’Korn had completed a third-and-nine pass to Drake Harris that officials had marked short of the first down by nearly two yards. Harbaugh quickly challenged the spot but Big Ten replay officials upheld the call to force a fourth down decision that was a little longer than it should have been according to the coach.
“I’ve never seen a worse call in the game of football,” Harbaugh said at his Monday press conference. “My understanding of the rules and the review system is it’s the spot, it’s to get the correct spot.”
Michigan won the game in blowout fashion of course and the call was irrelevant to the final score as the Wolverines got the first down on the next play and then kneeled down to end the game. But the comments and decision to challenge a call over a few feet does show the level to which Harbaugh will compete on the field.
Apparently that is something that is now well-known by Big Ten officials too.
Clemson running back Wayne Gallman has been dealing with the aftereffects of a concussion that knocked him out of the team’s win over N.C. State.
He seemed pretty clear on what he thought about the hit that caused that concussion however, telling the Associated Press that the play was “dirty.”
“You saw him lead with his head,” Gallman said of Wolfpack defensive back Dravious Wright. “He came with his head.
“I wanted somebody to hurt him that was in the game if they could.”
Gallman was knocked out on the play and said he didn’t recall anything until a few minutes later. Clemson apparently sent video of the hit to the ACC office, but was told that it was a legal play (no flag was thrown on it either).
The tailback was held out of some of the Tigers practices last week as they rested on their bye but added that he will be good to go for this week’s matchup with Florida State in a game that could seal the ACC Atlantic division for Clemson with a win.
Gallman, a redshirt junior, is expected by many to enter the NFL Draft after the season so it means he likely won’t be facing N.C. State again on the field so it looks like he’ll have to take his frustration about the play out on the Seminoles on Saturday.