Robbery victim: ‘I’m still gonna love Alabama football’

Alabama Crimson Tide fans wear Roll Tide shirts outside Sun Life stadium before the BCS National Championship college football game between Alabama and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in Miami Reuters

(Insert obligatory “Roll Tide” here)

Tuesday morning news broke that four Alabama football players — running back Brent Calloway, linebacker Tyler Hayes, defensive lineman D.J. Pettway and defensive back Eddie Williams — had been arrested in connection to a pair of on-campus robberies very early Monday morning.  The latter three were all charged with two counts each of felony second-degree robbery, with two UA students the alleged victims in the separate incidents.

One of those students, Samuel Jurgens, spoke extensively Tuesday night to the Crimson White, the school’s student newspaper, offering up horrific details of the beating he allegedly took at the hands of Hayes and Williams.  Check that: a friend of Jurgens offered up most of the pertinent details as Jurgens was knocked unconscious during the attack and his recollection of what happened in the immediate aftermath and after regaining consciousness remains hazy at best.

Chris Burks, the friend Jurgens called shortly after the robbery, described meeting Jurgens at the front door of his dorm.

“His left side of his face was gigantic,” Burks said. “The jacket he was wearing and his headphones were completely drenched in blood, the bottom half of his face was completely covered in blood; he was bleeding badly from his lip. He had clearly been badly beaten.”

Taken to a local hospital after calling police, Jurgens was ultimately diagnosed with a mild concussion and received stitches in his lip.  Despite the injuries he says he’s “still recovering from” — “They punched me, they kicked me in my back, in my ribs. I would definitely classify it as excessive” —  and the fact that “[i]t’s almost like they were doing it for fun,” Jurgens says it will have no impact on him as a Tide football fan.

“This was just a matter of chance. I’m still gonna love Alabama football. I just want to deal with this case, move on with my life,” Jurgens said. “I just want to get on with my education. I want to continue being happy here. I was happy here before, and I will continue being happy here.”

Hayes and Williams, who was arrested a day earlier for carrying a pistol without a permit, both admitted to police that they had attacked Jurgens.  Williams also admitted to taking part in an attack on the second victim roughly an hour later.  While not quoted directly in the student paper’s piece, that victim, Chris Paul, stated that he was feeling well and had returned to classes.  Jurgens has returned to classes as well.

All four players were suspended indefinitely by the football program, although it seems more than likely that the three players charged with robbery are — or at least should be — well on their way to a dismissal.  The fourth player, Callaway, did not take part in the robberies but was charged after using a credit/debit card stolen from one of the two victims.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Alabama Crimson Tide, Rumor Mill, Southeastern Conference, Top Posts
49 Responses to “Robbery victim: ‘I’m still gonna love Alabama football’”
  1. thraiderskin says: Feb 13, 2013 12:36 PM

Those people in the picture would definitely be rolling.

2. ldfontenot says: Feb 13, 2013 12:42 PM

Losing several 4 and 5 star players would cripple most schools’ teams, but i don’t think it will put even a small dent in Alabama’s. They are loaded.

I still can’t get over the fact that a 5 star Alabama recruit was arrested, booked and released for illegal possession of a firearm and it wasn’t reported in the Alabama media until a couple of days later when he was arrested for another crime.

The ink wouldn’t be dry on the arrest warrent before it would be on the message boards in my college town. Alabama football > most everybody’s football. Alabama reporters < most everybody's reporters.

3. pipesmokin says: Feb 13, 2013 12:59 PM

Officers who pulled over Williams found a pistol in his pants pocket, the release said. In that case, he was released on $500 bond.

Jail records did not show whether any of the players had an attorney.
    Saban you gonna need them this season,buy them some lawyers.
    Calloway was arrested on a charge of marijuana possession in October 2011 during a redshirt season.

Law sure is easy down in Bama to let Williams back out on the street after they found a handgun on him.
    And Calloway in trouble before with Marijuana in his possession.
    Saban your one heck of a coach and truly love those criminals to allow Calloway back after the weed possession.Great move Satan.Tuscalooser

4. dickroy says: Feb 13, 2013 1:09 PM

I am a Tennessee fan and I am sure a lot of Vols fans are loving this. I for one hate to see these kids do these horrible things, but I do believe they should be punished to the max and kicked off the team for good. I do believe that Saban will do the right thing.

5. jason1214 says: Feb 13, 2013 1:14 PM

@pipesmokin…right cause Bama is the only school where athletes behave badly. STFU

6. LogicalConsideration says: Feb 13, 2013 1:25 PM

also @pipesmokin

You will save yourself some embarrassment if you do a tiny bit of research before flapping your lips.

Any intelligent person knows that gun laws vary widely from state to state. I did a quick search for “Alabama gun laws” and quickly found that Alabama does not require a permit to purchase or to own a handgun. It ONLY requires a permit to carry one around with you. That appears to be what Williams had done.

Remember that when he was arrested on the gun charge, he had never been charged with a violent crime. Of course he was quickly released on a fairly low bail—it was a fairly low level charge. Anyone with a similar record in Alabama would have received the same treatment.

7. pipesmokin says: Feb 13, 2013 1:35 PM

@ logicalconsideration

Lip flapper he was carrying a gun without a CCW thats against the law.What might he done to these victims if he would of had it.Your not very Logical are you or are you a Bama fan.Get smart and use your brain.

8. Deb says: Feb 13, 2013 1:41 PM

@Idfontenot …

He was found in possession of an unregistered handgun the day before, not a couple of days earlier. As LogicalConsideration posted, that’s not a big deal in Alabama. I’m in Florida and most of my friends are gun nuts who seem to think you should be able to sell the things at parties like Tupperware without a registration form in sight. That’s why the media didn’t make an issue of it. “Guy has gun” isn’t a big headline in the South.

9. Deb says: Feb 13, 2013 1:46 PM

@pipesmokin …

So anyone like LogicalConsideration who posts legit legal info is a biased Bama fan to be disregarded? But you’re all over this blog posting semi-literate nonsense about “Tuscalooser,” so we should think of you as the soul of objectivity? Right. ROFL

10. pipesmokin says: Feb 13, 2013 1:49 PM

@ Deb

Its not a big headline in the south but sure becomes one the day after the same player ( Williams ) beats students to a bloody pulp.You are one of those uneducated that like Saban thinks its ok.Lets give them a two game susension then everyone will think its ok.LOL

11. tubad4ya says: Feb 13, 2013 1:54 PM

Saban’s ‘indefinitely suspended’ statement and the subtle ambiguity it invites should be a moot point, simply because these three should have been ousted from the university following this egregious act.

12. dickroy says: Feb 13, 2013 1:54 PM

@ pipesmokin

I don’t think Saban thinks its ok. And Deb is far more educated than you. That is clear from your post.

13. arizonahusker says: Feb 13, 2013 1:56 PM

I think he will love his cash settlement even more.

14. jack3dsd says: Feb 13, 2013 2:03 PM

sometimes football programs bring thugs to schools that have no business being there we should get a minor league system going to prevent stuff like this from happening to paying students wanting an education

15. guinsrule says: Feb 13, 2013 2:09 PM

Who posted Williams’ bail on the gun charge, judging from his actions the next day it’s fair to say he and his friends had no money…

16. pipesmokin says: Feb 13, 2013 2:12 PM

Thats Alabama thinking dickroy

17. advicesolid says: Feb 13, 2013 2:13 PM

This wasn’t just a guy has gun incident. He was acting “erratic” at the gas station and had a dispute over paying for the gas.

He threatened the clerk that he had something in his trunk. He goes out to the car and opens the trunk and gets something out of it. The BP clerk calls the police. When Williams decides to leave, the police pull him over down the street and he has the gun on him.

Many time people are just caught illegally carrying a gun for protection. He actually threatened to use it and looking at his subsequent behavior, the clerk is very lucky that he didn’t use it that night.

18. pipesmokin says: Feb 13, 2013 2:15 PM

@ jack3dsd

You got that right jack.

19. pipesmokin says: Feb 13, 2013 2:20 PM

@advisesolid

This is good advise for Deb always thinking Bama does no wrong.In fact Williams should of been left in jail but you cant tell a Bama fan that.Imo this might of never happened.Thug City Tuscaloosa.

20. 1twinsfan says: Feb 13, 2013 2:29 PM

Pa-role Tide!

21. zerohandicapper says: Feb 13, 2013 2:33 PM

Why is this not being treated as a hate crime? Oh thats right….we bow down to all the blacks in this country. What a crying F’n shame this society has become.

22. sdemp says: Feb 13, 2013 2:35 PM

My 2 cents. . . This is normal behavior for most schools who don’t hold student athletes to the same standards as the rest of the student body. I’m sure Saben will do whatever he can to have these kids in uniform next season.

Bama = zero integrity

23. Deb says: Feb 13, 2013 2:42 PM

@pipesmokin …

Most intelligent people could tell from my sarcastic Tupperware post that I don’t think lax gun laws are okay. Apparently you’re not terribly intelligent. But the cops have to follow the law, and that’s not something that would have gotten anyone locked up in Alabama. And since it only happened the day before, the media didn’t have time to latch onto it.

I don’t think Bama does no wrong. Just because some trolls post that I feel that way doesn’t make it so. My posts have been as critical of Bama as any other school when it’s deserved. This isn’t about Bama–it’s about some Bama players engaged in thuggery. Usually, I believe in waiting for the judicial system to run its course before I pass judgment. But since they’ve confessed to beating the crap out of some poor kid while stealing his computer, I have no problem saying they should get the maximum penalty the law provides. I’ve already said they should be thrown off the team–which Saban will do.

I don’t see what you guys are carrying on about. These guys will never play for Alabama again. It’s over for them. Every Bama fan posting on CFT has agreed on that. You’re just trying to make a controversy where there isn’t one.

24. Deb says: Feb 13, 2013 2:43 PM

@dickroy …

Thanks :)

25. advicesolid says: Feb 13, 2013 2:49 PM

@zerohandicapper

What are you talking about? There are no allegations of hate regarding race or sexuality in either of the assault cases. Just because people are of a different race or sexuality does not make it a hate crime.

These appear to be brutal robberies and that is it. Your ignorant comment in the second sentence shows that it is you that has the problem.

26. sdemp says: Feb 13, 2013 4:37 PM

Isn’t any assualt (especially one of this magnitude) done out of hate. Who in their right mind kicks the shit out of someone because they like them.

Must be a southern thing.

27. psousa1 says: Feb 13, 2013 4:44 PM

@advice – don’t try to sound like you are above the fray. You know damn well that if it were 3 white players who beat a black student it would be leading off all national newscasts, it would be classified as a hate crime, there would be protests for Saban to lose his job and he would.

Conversely, I’m sure if Saban could get away with it he would suspend them for the big Georgia Southern game or Samford or whomever they start the season with.

28. banger60 says: Feb 13, 2013 4:48 PM

Not surprised at all.

29. ironman721 says: Feb 13, 2013 6:37 PM

Let me guess the kid said he “took one for the team” and it was the “best whooping he ever got”. Did they promise to sign is casts when they were done? What a joke!

30. auburntigers34 says: Feb 13, 2013 7:04 PM

they should add hate crime charges for at least 2, if not 3 of them, imo.

Jurgens was white and the perpetrators were black. if they’re going to have stupid hate crime laws, they need to be consistent with it. jmo

31. cbass59 says: Feb 13, 2013 7:13 PM

We’ll see what kind of person Saban is when he hands out the punishments. Anything short of full dismissals from the team is criminal, although it will help him with his slimy oversigning problem.

That’s why losing players doesn’t hurt Bama like it would most schools. When you screw over kids by oversigning your always prepared for losing players unexpectantly. And if that doesn’t happen, who cares if a few kids lose the scholarships Saban promised.

32. pipesmokin says: Feb 13, 2013 7:13 PM

Bama = zero brains

33. pipesmokin says: Feb 13, 2013 7:17 PM

Hate crime in Tuscaloosa,its a bammer thing.Cage your animals up Saban

34. tony34343434 says: Feb 13, 2013 9:12 PM

i thought my

Roll Dam Criminals and Roll Dam Cheaters with the Deer Antler spray was good, but twinsfan has that beat.

Pa-role Tide is a winner!!!

35. mcjon22 says: Feb 13, 2013 9:30 PM

So people from the great state of Alabama aren’t the sharpest knifes in the drawer?

Shocking.

36. pipesmokin says: Feb 13, 2013 11:02 PM

So many honest posts=Bama sux

37. Deb says: Feb 14, 2013 12:17 AM

@mcjon22 …

Darlin’ … that’s knives. It’s always entertaining when the people making fun of Alabamians couldn’t pass a grade-school English test.

38. manchestermiracle says: Feb 14, 2013 1:16 AM

Wow, Tide fans sure are thin-skinned. The King farted, of course people are going to notice and hold their noses, what did you expect?

39. donkeydrew says: Feb 14, 2013 8:31 AM

ha now we’re resorting to correcting grammar on an internet comments section. keep up the good work.

40. noozehound says: Feb 14, 2013 12:26 PM

These students should be banned from any d1 program. They are at Alabama on scholarship, then they assault and rob a student. They shouldn’t be allowed to play football ever again.

41. mtmk0586 says: Feb 14, 2013 1:12 PM

Bama jocks should live in cages and only let out for football practice and games. Nice job Satan on getting these fine young men into Bama. No class school for sure!

42. jason1214 says: Feb 14, 2013 1:59 PM

I wonder if any of you would make some of these racist, whiny remarks if not for the ability to hide behind a screenname. Basically what many of you are saying is anyone from the south is destined to be a criminal. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

43. cwroses1983 says: Feb 14, 2013 2:01 PM

LOL BAMA IS SO SAD OF A SCHOOL. JUST LIKE THE WHOLE SEC LOSERS. WHY WOULD THEY NEED MORE MONEY, DONT THEY PAY YOU ENOUGH IN THAT AWFUL CHEATING CONFERENCE (BESIDES VANDY). OR DID OLE MISS USE TO MUCH CASH FOR THEIR CHEATING CLASS.

44. packerbadger says: Feb 14, 2013 2:19 PM

Of course they’re going to still root for Alabama. The place is an intellectual and cultural vacuum with nothing else going on there. Why do you think they lie, steal and cheat to win at all costs? If you take away Bama football, they got nothing!

45. packerbadger says: Feb 14, 2013 3:25 PM

mcjon22 says:Feb 13, 2013 9:30 PM

So people from the great state of Alabama aren’t the sharpest spoons in the drawer?

Shocking.
    ==================================

*fixed*

46. cwroses1983 says: Feb 14, 2013 3:52 PM

SEC= So EASY 2 Cheat. LOL . they cant get into. So blows. they are good on the field cause these retards arent even smart enough to get into schools like ND and Mich and uva and stanford, penn state.

cant wait to see NCAA lay down sanctions on ole miss as well in 5 years. Sec cheats, robbs, lies and they are all just dumb.

47. cwroses1983 says: Feb 14, 2013 3:57 PM

and VT

48. jason1214 says: Feb 14, 2013 7:42 PM

@packerbadger
    You really have nothing else in life huh?
    The acts of four young men doesn’t reflect the South, Alabama the state, or the University. Get off your moral high ground. You are amazingly ignorant.

49. cupete says: Feb 20, 2013 3:45 PM

The title of this post should be “Thank you sir, may I have another.” Keep on loving a football program that recruits thugs that will rob you and give you a beat down. As they say in Alabama, stupid is as stupid does. It’s also incredible to see the hypocritic Alabama fans on here who ripped on Manti Te’o and ND totally giving Alabama football a pass on this. Felonious assault > being catfished