Alabama Crimson Tide fans wear Roll Tide shirts outside Sun Life stadium before the BCS National Championship college football game between Alabama and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in Miami

Robbery victim: ‘I’m still gonna love Alabama football’

(Insert obligatory “Roll Tide” here)

Tuesday morning news broke that four Alabama football players — running back Brent Calloway, linebacker Tyler Hayes, defensive lineman D.J. Pettway and defensive back Eddie Williams — had been arrested in connection to a pair of on-campus robberies very early Monday morning.  The latter three were all charged with two counts each of felony second-degree robbery, with two UA students the alleged victims in the separate incidents.

One of those students, Samuel Jurgens, spoke extensively Tuesday night to the Crimson White, the school’s student newspaper, offering up horrific details of the beating he allegedly took at the hands of Hayes and Williams.  Check that: a friend of Jurgens offered up most of the pertinent details as Jurgens was knocked unconscious during the attack and his recollection of what happened in the immediate aftermath and after regaining consciousness remains hazy at best.

Chris Burks, the friend Jurgens called shortly after the robbery, described meeting Jurgens at the front door of his dorm.

“His left side of his face was gigantic,” Burks said. “The jacket he was wearing and his headphones were completely drenched in blood, the bottom half of his face was completely covered in blood; he was bleeding badly from his lip. He had clearly been badly beaten.”

Taken to a local hospital after calling police, Jurgens was ultimately diagnosed with a mild concussion and received stitches in his lip.  Despite the injuries he says he’s “still recovering from” — “They punched me, they kicked me in my back, in my ribs. I would definitely classify it as excessive” —  and the fact that “[i]t’s almost like they were doing it for fun,” Jurgens says it will have no impact on him as a Tide football fan.

“This was just a matter of chance. I’m still gonna love Alabama football. I just want to deal with this case, move on with my life,” Jurgens said. “I just want to get on with my education. I want to continue being happy here. I was happy here before, and I will continue being happy here.”

Hayes and Williams, who was arrested a day earlier for carrying a pistol without a permit, both admitted to police that they had attacked Jurgens.  Williams also admitted to taking part in an attack on the second victim roughly an hour later.  While not quoted directly in the student paper’s piece, that victim, Chris Paul, stated that he was feeling well and had returned to classes.  Jurgens has returned to classes as well.

All four players were suspended indefinitely by the football program, although it seems more than likely that the three players charged with robbery are — or at least should be — well on their way to a dismissal.  The fourth player, Callaway, did not take part in the robberies but was charged after using a credit/debit card stolen from one of the two victims.

Arizona signee My-King Johnson set to become FBS’ first active openly gay scholarship player

TUCSON, AZ - NOVEMBER 25:  Head coach Rich Rodriguez of the Arizona Wildcats watches from the sidelines during the Territorial Cup college football game against the Arizona State Sun Devils at Arizona Stadium on November 25, 2016 in Tucson, Arizona.  (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

Arizona signee My-King Johnson probably caught most Wildcats’ fans attention with his impressive name when it was listed among the 23 signees for the football program on National Signing Day.

The 6-3, 225 pound defensive end’s name is set to become a little more well known however.

In a story on Saturday in the Arizona Daily Star, Johnson confirmed that he would become the first active openly gay scholarship player in FBS when he enrolls over the summer down in Tucson.

“I do feel like when I say that, it can put a target on my back,” Johnson told the paper about going public with his sexuality. “But whatever.”

Johnson is far from the only gay athlete to play major college football but does appear to be one of the first to go public on the matter prior to suiting up for a major program. Missouri’s Michael Sam came out once he entered the NFL Draft. Just up the road in Tempe, where Johnson went to high school, Arizona State walk-on Chip Sarafin told his teammates in 2014.

From the Daily Star:

When Johnson told UA assistant Vince Amey about his sexuality while being recruited, the coach’s reaction — “We want you to be a Wildcat” — was exactly what he wanted to hear.

Johnson picked the Wildcats despite offers from numerous FBS programs, including many in the Pac-12. Perhaps coincidentally, he really jumped on the radar of the coaching staff when he sacked quarterback Rhett Rodriguez, an Arizona signee himself (and the son of head coach Rich Rodriguez), three times in a high school game.

It certainly seems as though Johnson is very comfortable telling his story to a wider audience than just his teammates and coaches by doing the interview with the Daily Star and the environment down in Tucson has been very welcoming to all the new attention that it will bring. As the Wildcats begin spring practice this month, chances are the coaching staff is probably just as excited about the prospect of Johnson making an instant impact on defense this fall after seeing plenty of issues on that side of the ball during a 3-9 campaign in 2016.

Central Michigan AD taking same position at Arizona

TUCSON, AZ - NOVEMBER 25:  Wide receiver Samajie Grant #10 of the Arizona Wildcats celebrates after scoring on a two yard rushing touchdown against the Arizona State Sun Devils during the fourth quarter of the Territorial Cup college football game at Arizona Stadium on November 25, 2016 in Tucson, Arizona.  (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)