SEC Championship - Alabama v Georgia

Mike Bobo sheds light on Georgia’s ‘next play’ in SEC title game

12 Comments

Outside of coaches receiving regional Emmy nominations, there may be no more offseason-y post than a “what if” five months after the fact.

But Georgia offensive coordinator Mike Bobo shed some light on an interesting angle during last Thursday’s UGA Day meeting Augusta: what would the Bulldogs have done if they had one more play against Alabama in last year’s SEC championship game?

As a refresher, the Bulldogs were driving in the final minute of regulation when Aaron Murray connected with tight end Arthur Lynch to put Georgia at the Alabama 8-yard line with 15 seconds remaining. Instead of spiking the ball to stop the clock, Georgia went hurry-up and Murray’s pass to Chris Conley failed to get into the end zone. Below is the video of the final drive, courtesy of SEC Digital Network:

Hypothetically, let’s say Georgia spiked the ball or Murray threw an incompletion to give Georgia one more play. What would it have been? Bobo explained it would have been inspired by plays from Florida’s SEC championship appearances against Alabama.

Here’s what Bobo said, via the Macon Telegraph:

“We had actually gone back to, I don’t know what it was, it was one of the Florida-Alabama games, where Alabama had given up three red zone scores to Florida. It was a play that Florida had actually ran against Alabama. It was an empty set, and had two primary front-side, and a double-slant backside. It was something from ’08 or ’09 that Tebow had completed against them. Because I remember after that game, Kirby was talking about how, ‘We just couldn’t stop them in the red zone.’ So we just studied that hard.

Then Bobo added with some matter-of-fact wistfulness: “We had some plans, we just didn’t have a chance to call those plays.” 

The way Georgia handled that final play against the Tide has been a source of debate. If Murray had completed the pass, whether on the hurry-up or one call later, the Bulldogs would have surely played Notre Dame in the BCS championship game. Instead, Bobo and his players are still reminded of what could have been.

“Like probably everybody out here, I don’t think we’re ever gonna get over that game,” Bobo said. “First meeting back with the players back, and the offense, I said: Men, people keep telling you you’ve gotta get over it and get ready to go. The bottom line is you’re never gonna get over it, you gotta learn to live with it, you’ve gotta regroup to play the next game, and get better the next day.”

Rico McWilliams, 18-game starter at corner for Gamecocks, gives up football

BATON ROUGE, LA - OCTOBER 10:  Malachi Dupre #15 of the LSU Tigers catches a pass in front of Rico McWilliams #1 of the South Carolina Gamecocks during the third quarter of a game at Tiger Stadium on October 10, 2015 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  (Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

South Carolina has seen one of the most experienced members of its secondary not only leave the program but the sport as well.

Rico McWilliams has decided to leave the Gamecocks and give up football, first-year USC head coach Will Muschamp announced Monday.  No reason was given for the decision.

McWilliams had started 18 the past three seasons, but began to tumble down the depth chart in the spring and failed to gain much ground in summer camp.  He had left camp early on for what were described as personal reasons, but eventually returned.

I am back with the team and have to stay focused,” the cornerback said just three days ago.

As a redshirt junior last season, McWilliams started 10 of USC’s 12 games, the lone exceptions being the contests against Georgia and Texas A&M.  He was credited with 32 tackles, two pass breakups and a fumble recovery.

Additionally, Muschamp announced that redshirt freshman wide receiver Christian Owens had left his team as well.  A three-star 2015 signee, Owens didn’t play as a true freshman.

Jim Harbaugh clarifies comments on Colin Kaepernick anthem controversy

Harbaugh Kaepernick
Associated Press
4 Comments

Via social media, Jim Harbaugh has attempted to walk back some of his strong talk.

Monday, the Michigan head coach was asked to comment on one of his former San Francisco 49er players, Colin Kaepernick, who kicked up quite the controversy this past week by sitting down during the playing of the national anthem to protest what he believes to be the mistreatment of African-Americans in this country. Not surprisingly, the outspoken Harbaugh didn’t mince many words.

“I acknowledge his right to do that, but I don’t respect the motivation or the action,” the coach said.

A short time later, Harbaugh took to Twitter to offer a clarification that he had no issue with Kaepernick’s motivation, merely his methods.

Baylor suspends starting safety Chance Waz for first two games

WACO, TX - SEPTEMBER 12:  Chance Waz #18 of the Baylor Bears at McLane Stadium on September 12, 2015 in Waco, Texas.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Even as Baylor looks to put a tumultuous offseason in the rearview mirror, the football team simply can’t get away from the dark cloud hanging over the program.

Interim head coach Jim Grobe announced Monday that Chance Waz has been suspended for the Bears’ first two games of the upcoming season.  The only reason given was unspecified disciplinary issues.

The suspension will cost the defensive back games against Northwestern State and SMU.  Waz will be eligible to return for the Sept. 16 game against Rice.

After playing in 11 games as a true freshman in 2014, Waz started 11 of the 13 games in which he played last season.  He was again projected as a starting safety entering summer camp.

Speaking of BU starters, Ishmael Zamora is still listed as a first-team wide receiver on the final preseason depth chart released by the Bears Monday.  Zamora was caught on video beating his dog with a belt and kicking it, and was ultimately charged with misdemeanor animal abuse.

Grobe said he’s still awaiting the university’s decision on what if any punishment Zamora may be facing as a result of the incident.

LB Xavier Preston reportedly suspended for WVU’s opener vs. Mizzou

Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 2.52.10 PM
West Virginia athletics
Leave a comment

The West Virginia football team has had a rough go of it the last month or so.

In late July, Larry Jefferson, expected to be a part of WVU’s defensive line rotation, was arrested on drug charges and removed from the roster.  This in mid-August, two-year starting safety Dravon Askew-Henry sustained a torn ACL that will knock him out for the season; shortly thereafter, starting left guard Adam Pankey was arrested on a drunk-driving charge and ultimately suspended for at least the opener against Missouri.

As it turns out, Pankey won’t be alone on the suspension sidelines as WVMetroNews.com is reporting that linebacker Xavier Preston will be suspended for the opener as well. No reason has been given for the punitive measure, and the football program has yet to confirm it.

The third-year sophomore would be eligible to return for the Sept. 10 Youngstown State game.

Preston played in 13 games last season. He has been described as the heir apparent to Nick Kwiatkowski at outside linebacker for the Mountaineers.