Skip to content

Lane Kiffin hands out another scholarship offer to eighth grader

Notre Dame v USC Getty Images

Despite playing under heavy scholarship reductions, USC still pulled in one hell of a recruiting class this past February. But Trojans coach Lane Kiffin isn’t stopping there. He’s preparing for the future as well. Like, four years down the road and one whole class of players preparing for the future.

Blair Angulo of ESPN Los Angeles reported Monday, with the Los Angeles Times confirming later on, that Kiffin has offered a scholarship to receiver Nathan Tilford of Upland, Calif. — a member of the 2017 recruiting class. The 6-foot-2, 190-pound “prospect” has been visiting USC’s practices and doing the 7-on-7 circuit.

Kiffin certainly isn’t the first coach to offer a scholarship to a pre-high schooler (in fact, it’s not even his first time doing so). Les Miles and Nick Saban have previously offered a spot to athlete Dylan Moses, another member of the 2017 class.

While offering a scholarship to a kid who has yet to play a down of high school football feels, well, icky, it’s really the recruit and his family who need to understand the risks of putting their collective footballs in one basket at such a young age. A lot can happen in four years. Kiffin could lose his job and/or the scholarship offer could be rescinded.

And, in fairness to Tilford, he hasn’t committed to anyone yet.

To echo the sentiments of our good pal Michael Felder, a former football player himself, a kid should let the recruiting process play out to its fullest. Examine all your offers and wait as long as you need to before committing, verbally or otherwise. For one, coaches hold all the power in the agreement anyway; secondly, it’ll be the last time a player gets to explore his options this extensively until his second NFL contract. If he’s lucky to make it that far.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pac-12 Conference, Rumor Mill, Top Posts, USC Trojans
14 Responses to “Lane Kiffin hands out another scholarship offer to eighth grader”
  1. addict2sport says: Jun 11, 2013 10:09 AM

    As a longtime USC fan, I really wish Lane would stop making these types of headlines. Sure, Les Miles and Saban have also done it but neither of them will receive the negative media that Kiffin or more importantly USC will. I think the guy has potential to he a good coach but he needs to stay out of the darn news on issues like this and jersey changing.

  2. brutusbuckeye2011 says: Jun 11, 2013 10:29 AM

    I think I will put a scouting report and film together highlighting my grandson. He is 9 years old and will be entering the 5th grade this fall. He weighs 75 pounds (82nd percentile) and is 4 feet 8 inches tall (91st percentile). He is a middle linebacker and was the top defensive player in his league last year. If Lane, Les or Nick make him an offer I could stop putting money into his Coverdell Education Savings Account and go on some very nice vacations.

  3. mydixienormus says: Jun 11, 2013 10:36 AM

    He’s 6-2 and 190 lbs. in 8th grade????

    Oh wait, he is probably 17 years old.

    Never mind.

  4. soundsofsuccess7 says: Jun 11, 2013 10:45 AM

    This isn’t news. Washington and many SEC schools have done this.

    Media needs to get off Lane Kiffin’s behind, this is truly pathetic.

  5. vols84 says: Jun 11, 2013 11:17 AM

    Kid won’t be around much longer. In fact his next gig will be as this kids freshmen football coach.

  6. vols84 says: Jun 11, 2013 11:32 AM

    Auto correct got me. Meant Kif

  7. Anoesis says: Jun 11, 2013 11:44 AM

    Ah, the thin “news” days of summer for college football. At least this type of publicity beats hearing about another injury.

  8. BrownsTown says: Jun 11, 2013 2:42 PM

    Did he send the prostitutes to recruit the kid like he did at UT(ennessee)?

  9. pacific123ocean says: Jun 11, 2013 3:37 PM

    If Lane is trying to emulate Saban and Miles, that has to be good news for SC fans.

  10. tommy57 says: Jun 12, 2013 6:46 AM

    There should be a prohibition against recruiting before completing the sophmore year in high school. If a kid knows early on there will be an offer, particularly a kid who would otherwise need to work very hard in class to get the necessary grades, that expected offer could cause the kid to just shut-down and not worry about grades or an education.

    Still, I guess that wouldn’t matter much so long as they then make it to the NFL.

  11. fresh1120 says: Jun 12, 2013 8:38 AM

    It’s funny that Lane thinks he is going to be the coach there in 5 years for this kid to make it there. I give him 2-3 years tops before he gets the ax.

  12. omniusprime says: Jun 12, 2013 8:52 AM

    There needs to be a rule about how early colleges can start contacting kids. Kids not even in high school should be left alone, only total dirtbag SEC coaches like Saban or Miles would do this kind of thing and shame on Lane Kiffin for joining that crowd of perennial cheaters.

    Let kids be kids!

  13. vols84 says: Jun 12, 2013 9:20 PM

    I give him1 year. He ruined Barkley.

  14. papabush88 says: Jun 15, 2013 2:41 PM

    Mora at ucla did same thing. Lane gets an unfair amount of criticism as a person/recruiter. He deserves much more criticism as a coach.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!