Carlos Hyde

Ohio State announces suspension, not dismissal, for Carlos Hyde


At least for now, Ohio State’s starting running back is a member of the football program.

Earlier today, the Columbus Dispatch reported that Carlos Hyde had been dismissed from the Buckeyes after allegedly punching a woman at a Columbus bar.  In a press release, head coach Urban Meyer offered some clarity to the situation by announcing that the running back had been indefinitely suspended from all football activities.

The release added that the suspension is the first step in the process, with further punishment, up to and including a dismissal, pending the outcome of the student code of conduct and criminal investigations.

Hyde has still yet to be officially charged in the incident.

“I have a clear set of core values in place that members of this football program are constantly reminded of and are expected to honor,” Meyer said in a statement. “There are also expectations with regard to behavior. I expect our players to conduct themselves responsibly and appropriately and they will be held accountable for their actions.”

In addition to the news on Hyde, the school also acknowledged an incident involving star cornerback Bradley Roby.  Over the weekend, Roby was arrested by Bloomington (Ind.) police on an assault charge.  The junior was allegedly involved in a scuffle with the bouncers of a drinking establishment.

Thus far, the only punishment for Roby is being taken off the list of Buckeyes scheduled to speak at the Big Ten’s media days beginning Wednesday. As more information becomes available, the release states, Roby could face additional discipline.

But wait, there’s more…

In the same release, the school acknowledged recent legal incidents involving tight end Marcus Baugh and defensive lineman Tim Gardner.  Baugh was arrested for underage possession of alcohol and possessing a fake identification.  He is suspended for the season opener against Buffalo, and will lose the summer financial aid afforded student-athletes.

Gardner, on the other hand, will not be a Buckeye in 2013 after an arrest over the weekend in Columbus for obstruction official business.

“Swift, effective and fair discipline is the standard for our entire athletics program,” athletic director Gene Smith said in his statement. “I applaud Coach Meyer for his immediate actions.”

Rutgers WR Carroo expected to have assault charges dropped

Leonte Carroo
Leave a comment

Rutgers wide receiver Leonte Carroo could have a charge of simple assault dropped by a New Jersey court today. The woman he is accused of slamming to the concrete has agreed to drop the restraining order request and has asked the assault charge against the Rutgers receiver be dropped as well. reports today the woman and Carroo each appeared in a family court on Tuesday, and the woman told the judge she is not scared of Carroo.

So, what does this mean for football? Simply put, it means Carroo may be eligible to play again as soon as this weekend. That would be good timing, as Rutgers is set to host Michigan State this Saturday night.

Carroo has been sitting out while serving an indefinite suspension while this legal process plays out. Carroo has missed each of the last two games for Rutgers, against Penn State and Kansas. Rutgers was off this past weekend. If this legal process does play out as it is expected at this point, Carroo could be reinstated quickly and promptly, making him eligible to return right away. Carroo is one fo the best players on the roster, so having him back and eligible to play is very good news for the Scarlet Knights offense.

Gamecocks still hope to host LSU Sat., but alternatives being evaluated

David Williams, Tony Guerad

The recent flooding in the state of South Carolina has brought many dangers and concerns much more important than football with it, but this being a college football-focused website we must dive into the connection real life issues have with the sport from time to time. South Carolina is scheduled to host LSU in Columbia this Saturday, and that still appears to be the plan. Alternate plans have been discussed though, just in case they will be needed as the week unfolds.

The very concept of moving a college football game to another stadium is indeed a rare situation. It is not, however, completely without precedent. The 1942 Rose Bowl between Duke and Oregon State (my how the times have changed) was moved from Pasadena, California across the country to be played in Durham, North Carolina. This was out of fear of the west coast being attacked during World War II though. LSU’s Tiger Stadium has served as a home football stadium for a weather-related event in the past as well. The New Orleans Saints played four games in Baton Rouge after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans and forced the Saints to play the entire 2005 season on the road.

Today is only Tuesday, so there is still some time to make sure Williams-Brice Stadium and the surrounding area is suitable for hosting the SEC contest this weekend. Odds are the game will be able to be played as scheduled, but safety for fans and teams involved is always the priority.