What’s it been, about 13 days or so since the soap opera-like life and times of Johnny Manziel made headlines for something off the field? Yeah, we were due.
The latest “incident” involving the Texas A&M quarterback and reigning Heisman winner reportedly took place on the campus of A&M’s bitter in-state rival, the University of Texas. Specifically, it took place at a UT frat party.
Even more specifically, it involved someone taking a cellphone video showing what’s purported to be a pink-shirted Manziel — he of the Longhorn “tribute tattoo” — getting booted from said frat party, replete with a beer toss that would make Tyler Bray proud.
The video, courtesy of Burnt Orange Nation, appears below. Be warned, the 20-second clip contains some rather salty language that likely would be considered NSFW, unless you happen to be a sailor or a truck driver. In that case, crank it up.
Regardless, view away:
As is ofttimes the case with the utter obsession over Manziel, though, we’re compelled to say but wait, there’s more…
For good measure, Manziel — at least, Deadspin proclaims it to be Manziel — was photographed at another UT frat party… wearing a Tim Tebow New York Jets jersey, a Johnny Football/St. Timothy combination that may cause the Internet to literally implode upon itself.
The Aggies open the season at home against Rice Aug. 31 and, as always, the new football year cannot get here soon enough.
LSU got the best of John Chavis on the field in November, but the former Tigers defensive coordinator could gain revenge in the court room.
According to Ross Dellenger of The Advocate, Chavis has turned over phone records from November 2014 through Feb. 13, 2015, the key period in detailing whether Chavis violated his contract agreement with LSU in leaving for a lateral position with Texas A&M. At stake is a $400,000 buyout the school says it is owed.
LSU contends Chavis started working for the Aggies before his contract expired on Jan. 31, 2015, a stance seemingly buoyed by the fact Chavis was photographed in Aggie gear while on recruiting trips with A&M coaches.
Chavis filed a countersuit in Texas alleging the school owes him more than $200,000 in unpaid vacation wages and $400,000 in bonuses. Chavis also accused LSU of altering his contract after he signed it — which the school admitted, though in a “nominal” way.
Should the case go to trial, LSU administrators and coaches could be deposed, which every media member in the country should actively root for. Considering the last such suit led to Charlie Strong forgetting his own quarterback’s name and Texas assistants contradicting each other on the stand during Oklahoma State’s similar suit with its former offensive line coach Joe Wickline, LSU coaches and Chavis hitting the stand could lead to absolute gold.
Maybe the third time will be the charm for Brian Kimbrow? Or maybe there’ll be no third time, period?
That appears to be the case Kimbrow confirmed to Rivals.com earlier this week that he has walked away from the Middle Tennessee State football team. Not only that, but the running back has walked away from the sport, period.
“I just didn’t love football like I used to and wanted to focus on school and my forensics career,” Kimbrow told the recruiting website. “Just burned out for real.”
Kimbrow began his collegiate career at Vanderbilt as a four-star recruit in 2012. He ran for 748 yards and six touchdowns his first two seasons with the Commodores before he was indefinitely suspended early on in the 2014 season for conduct detrimental to the team. A month later, the then-junior was dismissed from the Vandy football program.
Kimbrow joined MTSU as a graduate transfer earlier this year and participated in spring practice with his new Blue Raiders teammates.
Once at 26, North Carolina’s 2016 recruiting class has been pared by one.
According to a report from 247Sports.com, 2016 signee James Pierre has been given a release from the National Letter of Intent he signed with UNC. The recruiting website reports that Pierre was denied admissions by the university, leading to his full release.
Because he has not attended any classes at UNC, Pierre would be eligible to play immediately at another FBS program. He’d then have the standard five years to use four seasons of eligibility.
A three-star 2016 recruit, Pierre was rated as the No. 48 safety in the country. In addition to UNC, Pierre held scholarship offers from, among others, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Louisville, Miami, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
Arkansas lost, at least temporarily, a running back to injury last month. This month, they’ve lost one permanently, for a whole other reason entirely.
Thursday, Bret Bielema confirmed that Denzell Evans plans to transfer out of his Razorbacks football program. No specific reason for the parting of ways was given.
The running back will remain enrolled in school until he graduates, then move on to an undetermined location. As Evans will be a graduate transfer, he’ll be eligible to play immediately if his new college football home plays at the FBS level.
As a bonus for his new program, Evans will actually have two years of eligibility left to use.
The past two seasons after redshirting as a true freshman in 2013, Evans had played in 15 games. Evans rushed for 84 yards on 13 carries in his Razorbacks career; 48 of those yards and six of the carries came in the fourth quarter of an Oct. 31 win over UT-Martin this past season.
Evans, a three-star 2013 signee, scored a pair of rushing touchdowns in the spring game last month.