Johnny Manziel, Kenric McNeal, Dustin Harris

Reports: Manziel to be suspended… for first half of opener

The Johnny Manziel situation has (reportedly) come to a conclusion, albeit with a final — and bizarre — twist.

In a tweet from Billy Liucci Wednesday afternoon regarding the Texas A&M quarterback, the reporter wrote that “[p]er multiple sources, he’ll be suspended for first half of season-opener versus Rice on Saturday.”  Brett McMurphy of and Bruce Feldman of subsequently confirmed the first-half suspension

As for the specific reason for a suspension — which has not been confirmed by the Aggies — Liucci writes that he is “assuming [the] suspension would involve secondary violation of by-law”

That bylaw, titled “Use of a Student-Athlete’s Name or Picture Without Knowledge or Permission,” appears in full below:

If a student-athlete’s name or picture appears on commercial items (e.g., T-shirts, sweatshirts, serving trays, playing cards, posters) or is used to promote a commercial product sold by an individual or agency without the student-athlete’s knowledge or permission, the student-athlete (or the institution acting on behalf of the student-athlete) is required to take steps to stop such an activity in order to retain his or her eligibility for intercollegiate athletics. Such steps are not required in cases in which a student-athlete’s photograph is sold by an individual or agency (e.g., private photographer, news agency) for private use.

Essentially, if the reports are accurate, Manziel would be suspended for failing to take the proper steps to ensure that individuals were not profiting off his name and likeness.  It had been reported that Manziel had received tens of thousands of dollars in exchange for his signature on thousands of photos and pieces of memorabilia.

What remains unclear is if this would be merely a school-driven punishment or one that would end the NCAA’s involvement in the situation.

More than likely, it’s the latter as McMurphy reported that this suspension “closes the book” on the situation, with the “NCAA [acknowledging] Manziel did not accept money” in exchange for his signature.  Over the weekend, the NCAA spent six hours grilling Manziel in relation to his involvement with autograph dealers.  Everyone connected to the A&M football program has been since barred from discussing the Johnny Football situation by the school’s athletic director.

It had also been reported over the weekend that A&M had “no plans” to sit Manziel, although that no longer appears to be the case.

If Manziel is suspended for the first half of the game against Rice — he could miss the entire game as head coach Kevin Sumlin could choose to sit him out in the second half of what’s expected to be a blowout — the Aggies would turn to either junior Matt Joeckel or true freshman Kenny Hill.  By most accounts, the latter has been the most impressive of the two during summer camp.

Report: LSU’s Travin Dural hamstrung for rest of season

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 07:  Travin Dural #83 of the LSU Tigers scores with a touchdown reception against Geno Matias-Smith #24 of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

A season that will likely end up with LSU parting ways with its head coach will reportedly end with one of the Tigers’ most dangerous threats in the passing game on the sidelines as well.

While there’s been no confirmation from the school, LSU’s student newspaper, the Daily Reveille, is reporting that Travin Dural will undergo surgery this week for a right hamstring tear. As a result, the wide receiver will miss the regular-season finale against Texas A&M as well as a bowl game.

Dural sustained the injury in last weekend’s loss to Ole Miss that seemingly sealed his head coach’s fate. The receiver tweeted the following after the reports surfaced.

Dural is tops on the Tigers in averaging 19 yards per reception, and his 28 catches for 533 yards and three touchdowns are second on the team. The 6-2, 203-pound Dural led the Bayou Bengals last season with 37 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns.

A redshirt junior, Dural is expected to make himself available for the 2016 NFL draft.  The recovery time for his procedure will be 3-4 months, which puts his availability for the February NFL combine decidedly in doubt.

Stanford loses FB Daniel Marx for the season to leg injury

Conrad Ukropina, Daniel Marx