Condoleezza Rice, David Shaw

Report: Condoleezza Rice to be on playoff committee


Last year, Condoleezza Rice was one of two women to become the first female members of famed Augusta National.

Now, the former Secretary of State is set to break down yet another gender barrier.

Citing a person with direct knowledge of the process, the Associated Press is reporting that Rice, the daughter of a long-time Alabama high school football coach, will be part of the selection committee for the College Football Playoff.  As has been the case with all previous reports attaching names to the committee, no one connected to the new playoff system will confirm or deny that Rice will be a part of determining a national champion in college football.

Rice served as Stanford’s provost from 1993-99 before leaving to become National Security Advisor under George W. Bush, becoming the first woman to ever hold that title.  She served as Secretary of State from 2005-09.

In 2009, Rice rumored to be a candidate to become the commissioner of the then-Pac-10.  She briefly considered the offer but ultimately declined the opportunity.  Her name was also floated as a potential replacement for Bob Bowlsby as Stanford’s athletic director.

While Rice has had no official connection to the game of football, she’s been around it her entire life.

“Everybody always is [surprised], and they don’t understand,” she said in talking about her knowledge of the game. “I probably would have written several more books had it not been for the NFL on Sunday.”

Early last decade, Rice stated during multiple interviews that being NFL commissioner has long been her dream job.

“I really consider myself a student of the game,” Rice said in a 2002 interview with the New York Times. ”I find the strategy and tactics absolutely fascinating. I find the evolution of the game really interesting. Again, as it relates to military history. Military history has swung back and forth between advantage to the offense and advantage to the defense. When the offense has the advantage, then a new technology will come along that will temporarily give the defense the advantage and vice versa. Football has that kind of pattern, too.”

According to a report that surfaced today, the names of the selection committee members will be announced Nov. 11.

‘Canes down three starters for Thursday night game vs. Hokies

MIAMI GARDENS, FL - OCTOBER 17: Brenden Motley #9 of the Virginia Tech Hokies escapes a tackle from Chad Thomas #9 of the Miami Hurricanes during a game  at Sun Life Stadium on October 17, 2015 in Miami Gardens, Florida.  (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

When Miami takes the field Thursday night against Virginia Tech, the Hurricanes will do so with a significantly depleted defense.

On The U’s official injury report, starting defensive end Chad Thomas is listed as questionable with an upper extremity injury.  However, both Susan Miller Degnan of the Miami Herald and Matt Porter of the Palm Beach Post are reporting that Thomas did not travel to Blacksburg with the team and will not play in the prime-time game against the Hokies.

Thomas suffered the injury in last Saturday’s loss to North Carolina.

Additionally, fellow starting end Demetrius Jackson and starting cornerback Sheldrick Redwine have been ruled out as well.  Jackson is nursing an injured knee, while Redwine was not listed on The U’s injury report and the reason for his absence — he didn’t make the trip, either — is unknown.

Thomas, who has started all six games this season, currently leads the ‘Canes in tackles for loss with eight, while Jackson is tied for second with 5.5.  Jackson has started five of the six games.

Redwine has started the last five games for the Hurricanes, the first starts of his collegiate career.

Two UConn football players arrested on weed, ‘weapons’ charges

PROVO, UT - OCTOBER 2: Head coach Bob Diaco of the Connecticut Huskies talks to his team on the bench during their game against the Brigham Young Cougars at LaVell Edwards Stadium on October 2, 2015 in Provo Utah. (Photo by Gene Sweeney Jr/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Two UConn football players were arrested Wednesday evening following a traffic stop, multiple media outlets are reporting.

According to the Daily Campus, the school’s student newspaper, linebacker Nazir Williams and defensive lineman Felton Blackwell were both charged with one count each of weapons in a motor vehicle.  The weapon, it turned out, was an unmarked, loaded BB gun “that initially appeared to be a real gun,” the paper wrote.

Williams, the driver of the vehicle, was also charged with possession of less than half an ounce of marijuana and possession of alcohol by a minor.

The traffic stop that led to the arrests was triggered by Williams’ vehicle having a headlight out.  The incident report detailed that, in a search of the vehicle, four grams of marijuana, an open container of vodka and the BB gun were found.

Neither Williams nor Blackwell are listed on the two-deep depth chart released ahead of Saturday’s game against UCF.  Both players took redshirts as true freshmen last season.

Florida’s banged-up front seven trying to get healthy ahead of Georgia

ATLANTA, GA - DECEMBER 5: Quarterback Jake Coker #14 of the Alabama Crimson Tide scrambles under pressure from linebacker Jarrad Davis #40 of the Florida Gators in the first quarter during the SEC Championship at the Georgia Dome on December 5, 2015 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Tennessee’s not the only SEC East team dealing with an inordinate number of injuries.

As Florida continues prepping for its annual cocktail party with Georgia in Week 9, the Gainesville Sun notes that the Gators’ “defensive front seven could be missing as many as four starters.” Even as the rivalry game is still a little over a week away — UF’s on a bye this weekend — it appears somewhat unlikely that Jarrad Davis will be available.

The starting middle linebacker sustained a severely sprained ankle in the Week 7 win over Missouri, and is thought to be a longshot to play. Jim McElwain, however, hasn’t shut the door.

“Jarrad Davis obviously hurt that ankle real good,” the head coach said. “But, if there is a guy I would bet, or know, that he’s going to do everything he can to get back. Obviously, he’s not practicing this week, but he’s been doing a great job rehab-wise. We’ll see where that is.

“I don’t know (if there’s a chance he could play next week). That’s him. That’s the medical staff. It’s making sure it’s right. If they’re mentally right to go, he’ll go.”

Three other front seven starters’ statuses are up in the air thanks to injuries. From the Sun:

The status of three other starters on the defensive front — ends Bryan Cox Jr. (thumb) and Jordan Sherit (knee) and tackle Joey Ivie (thumb) — also is uncertain for Georgia.

Sherit had his knee scoped two weeks ago. Ivie’s thumb remains in a cast after undergoing surgery three weeks ago. Cox injured his thumb during warmups for the Missouri game when his hand got caught in the jersey of a teammate during a drill.

Cox, per McElwain, could be lost for the season. The paper did note that “[t]news appears a little more positive on Sherit and Ivie.” Those two have practiced on a limited basis and their statuses will be reevaluated next week.

Davis currently leads the Gators in tackles with 48 and is tied for second on the team with 3.5 tackles for loss. Sherit is one of the players with which Davis is tied in tackles for loss.

Corey Dauphine, Texas Tech’s top 2015 offensive recruit, takes to Twitter to announce transfer

TEMPE, AZ - SEPTEMBER 10:  Running back Corey Dauphine #21 and wide receiver Jonathan Giles #9 of the Texas Tech Red Raiders huddle up before the college football game against the Arizona State Sun Devils at Sun Devil Stadium on September 10, 2015 in Tempe, Arizona.  (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

A key piece of Texas Tech’s 2015 recruiting class has decided to call it a day in Lubbock.

On his personal Twitter account Wednesday afternoon, Corey Dauphine (pictured, No. 21) has decided to transfer from Tech to an undetermined school.  The running back, who said his decision to transfer came “after talking with my family,” did not provide a reason for the departure.

A four-star 2015 recruit, Dauphine was rated as the No. 18 running back in the country and the No. 31 player at any position in the state of Texas. He was the highest-rated Red Raider recruit on the offensive side of the ball.

Dauphine chose Tech over offers from, among others, Baylor, Florida, Michigan, TCU, Tennessee and Texas A&M.

After taking a redshirt as a true freshman, Dauphine had two carries for 25 yards and a touchdown this season.  he appeared in a total of three games.