LSU v TCU

Rob Bolden’s transfer to EMU is official

A few days after it was initially reported, Eastern Michigan confirmed the addition of transfer quarterback Rob Bolden. The former Penn State and LSU player is looking to make the most of his third college stop during his collegiate career, and the fresh start out of the bright lights of a big time program could serve him well.

Bolden was thrust into a spotlight at Penn State, where he opened the 2010 season as a starter despite not arriving on campus until the summer. He quickly took a hold of the starting quarterback competition after Daryll Clark had graduated, bypassing the perceived incumbent Kevin Newsome and another freshman option, Paul Jones, along the way.  He had his bright spots, but a weak offensive line never did him any favors either. Later in the season he was replaced by Matt McGloin after being knocked out against Minnesota. He returned to the starting job a few weeks later but was replaced again by McGloin in a game against Northwestern. Down 21-0 when ht took over, McGloin led the Nittany Lions to a home win against the Wildcats to make his case for the primary quarterback duties the rest fo the season.

Bolden and McGloin alternated passing duties again in 2011, splitting time in games on a regular rotation for much of the season. It was not until Joe Paterno was removed as head coach in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal revelations that interim head coach Tom Bradley made McGloin the leader of the offense. Bolden went on to start the TicketCity Bowl for Penn State with McGloin out due to injury, but that would be Bolden’s final game on the field for some time. A free transfer option granted to all Penn State players as a part of sanctions that followed that summer led Bolden to LSU, where he sat out one season and never saw the field in his second season in Baton Rouge.

This spring Bolden was ready to make a position change to wide receiver. Considering his high recruiting profile as a dual-threat quarterback and the shrinking quarterback depth on the LSU roster, it raised a few eyebrows. Now Bolden will head to Eastern Michigan, where he will be given a chance to win a starting job under center and end his collegiate career on a high note. The Eagles are far away form competing for a MAC championship, but with Bolden returning closer to home it may just be the kind of environment Bolden needs to finally spread his wings.

“I am happy to be home with a new start and look to make my final year special,” Bolden said in a statement released by Eastern Michigan. “I appreciate the opportunity that Coach [Chris Creighton] is giving me and look forward to an exciting season. The support of my family has been tremendous throughout the entire process and I thank them all for that.”

Bolden will be eligible to play right away for Eastern Michigan after earning his degree in between Penn State and LSU.

Family matter prompts Danny Hope to leave USF staff

during the 2015 Miami Beach Bowl  at Marlins Park on December 21, 2015 in Miami, Florida.