Auburn v Mississippi State

Driver twice the legal limit in crash that killed Lutzenkirchen

As his football family and friends continue to honor him, additional details have emerged from the car accident that claimed the life of Philip Lutzenkirchen.

The results of a toxicology report were released Wednesday morning, with the documents indicating that the driver of the vehicle, Joseph Ian Davis, had a blood alcohol content level of .17. The legal limit in the state of Georgia is .08.

Davis, who died as a result of injuries sustained in the crash, was not wearing his seatbelt and was partially ejected from the vehicle. Lutzenkirchen, the 23-year-old former Auburn star who was seated in the backseat and had a BAC of .377 according to the results of the toxicology tests, was also not wearing a seatbelt and was completely ejected from the vehicle.

Davis failed to stop at a stop sign at a T-intersection, crossing an intersecting road and impacting a ditch at an unknown speed before traveling an additional 89 feet and striking another ditch, according to the traffic crash report. The vehicle traveled further along the edge of a church driveway before hitting a fence, going airborne 42 feet and overturning several times near Upper Big Springs and Lower Big Springs roads.

Alcohol and the non-use of seatbelts were originally suspected as playing a role in the twin fatalities.

Shortly after the late June crash, there was an outpouring of grief for Lutzenkirchen by the football program and fans alike.  Toomer’s Corner was rolled, while the university put together a moving video tribute for Lutzenkirchen’s memorial service.  Late last month, Lutzenkirchen’s number was painted on AU’s practice fields in his honor.

Even Auburn’s rivals were touched, with Georgia quarterback Hutson Mason, a high school teammate of the tight end, was spotted wearing a pin with Lutzenkirchen’s No. 43 on it as UGA opened up summer camp late last week.

Report: LSU’s Travin Dural hamstrung for rest of season

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 07:  Travin Dural #83 of the LSU Tigers scores with a touchdown reception against Geno Matias-Smith #24 of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

A season that will likely end up with LSU parting ways with its head coach will reportedly end with one of the Tigers’ most dangerous threats in the passing game on the sidelines as well.

While there’s been no confirmation from the school, LSU’s student newspaper, the Daily Reveille, is reporting that Travin Dural will undergo surgery this week for a right hamstring tear. As a result, the wide receiver will miss the regular-season finale against Texas A&M as well as a bowl game.

Dural sustained the injury in last weekend’s loss to Ole Miss that seemingly sealed his head coach’s fate. The receiver tweeted the following after the reports surfaced.

Dural is tops on the Tigers in averaging 19 yards per reception, and his 28 catches for 533 yards and three touchdowns are second on the team. The 6-2, 203-pound Dural led the Bayou Bengals last season with 37 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns.

A redshirt junior, Dural is expected to make himself available for the 2016 NFL draft.  The recovery time for his procedure will be 3-4 months, which puts his availability for the February NFL combine decidedly in doubt.

Stanford loses FB Daniel Marx for the season to leg injury

Conrad Ukropina, Daniel Marx