Funeral

Last one out, turn off the WAC lights please

9 Comments

The Western Athletic Conference is already listing due to the departures of Boise State this year, and Fresno State, Hawaii and Nevada next year, all for the Mountain West.

Now, the league is facing the possibility of yet another departure.  And a potential death knell when it comes to major college football.

According to Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News, and citing sources familiar with the discussions, San Jose State has emerged as a potential expansion target of the Mountain West Conference.  The MWC’s board of directors is holding a meeting next Monday, although those talks aren’t expected to result in any invitations being extended to prospective members.  Commissioner Craig Thompson told the paper that he’s had one discussion with SJSU regarding MWC membership, but the school will not be fully evaluated until his bosses give the go ahead for further expansion.

The main reason for the MWC’s interest, however peripheral, in SJSU?  “There is value in the number of TV sets in your geographic area,” a source told Wilner, referring to the fact that San Jose sits in the nation’s sixth-largest television market.

In addition to San Jose State, Conference USA members Houston, SMU, UTEP and Utah State are believed to be potential targets as well.  The Cougars and Mustangs are reportedly content in their current conference, although we continue to hear the former would be open to overtures from the MWC.

Despite the departures of BYU (football independence), TCU (Big East) and Utah (Pac-12), the additions of Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii and Nevada will give the MWC ten schools starting in 2012.  The interest in San Jose State, as well as other schools, would seem to indicate the MWC is seeking to get to at least 12 schools in order to have the flexibility to split into divisions and hold a conference title game at the end of the regular season.

As for the WAC, the loss of San Jose State would certainly be a crippling, if not outright fatal, blow football-wise.  As it currently stands, and if they were to lose SJSU, the WAC would be down to Idaho, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, Utah State (if they’re not poached as well), Texas State and the University of Texas at San Antonio.  The latter two schools were officially added to the WAC’s “roster” last November, although neither institution has played a game at the Div. 1-A level.

The WAC reached out to both Montana and North Texas regarding a potential move to the conference, although both schools rebuffed the advances.  Again, the WAC was spurned by Montana and North Texas.

In other words, and in the not-too-distant future, the Old Yeller treatment may be in order for the WAC.  It’s the only humane thing left to do.

ECU transfer Kurt Benkert wins Virginia’s starting QB job

In this photo taken Tuesday, Aug. 11, 2015 East Carolina quarterback Kurt Benkert rolls out to pass during NCAA college football practice in Greenville, N.C. (AP Photo/Gerry Broome)
Associated Press
2 Comments

Four months ago, Kurt Benkert was one the losing end of a quarterback competition at East Carolina.  Fastforward to today, and he’s now the trigger man in a Power Five offense.

First-year Hoos head coach Bronco Mendenhall announced Wednesday that Benkert will start the season opener against Richmond.  Benkert had been involved in a competition that included returning starter Matt Johns and Texas/Arizona transfer Connor Brewer.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Benkert came to the Cavaliers as a graduate transfer, but is not a one-year stop-gap as he has two years of eligibility remaining.

Named the Pirates’ starter in early August of 2015, Benkert sustained a right knee injury a couple of weeks later that knocked him out for the entire season.  Blake Kemp took over and kept a stranglehold on the starting job through spring practice this year, triggering Benkert’s decision to move on.

Benkert has attempted 10 passes in his collegiate career, all in 2014.

In starting all 12 games for the Cavaliers last season, Johns’ 2,810 passing yards were third in school history while his 20 touchdowns were tied for fourth.  His 17 interceptions, though, were the most of any FBS quarterback in 2015.

Cassius Peat granted release by Mich. St., appears headed to JUCO

COLLEGE PARK, MD - NOVEMBER 15:  A Michigan State Spartans helmet on the bench during a college football game against the Maryland Terrapins at Byrd Stadium on November 15, 2014 in College Park, Maryland.  The Spartans won 37-15.  (Photo by Mitchell Layton/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Earlier this month, Mark Dantonio stated that Michigan State was giving Cassius Peat “an opportunity to work on his academics and get himself in order” as his status with the program was “in flux.”

A week or so later?  He gone.

MSU confirmed Wednesday that Peat has been granted a release from his scholarship and will transfer from the Spartans.  And, in fact, the defensive lineman may have already found a new home, one at the junior college level.

Peat, initially a UCLA commit, was a three-star 2015 recruit who was rated as the No. 3 player at any position in the state of Arizona.  He took a redshirt as a true freshman, and had been listed as the No. tackle heading into summer camp.

However, according to mlive.com, Peat did not report for camp amidst his academic issues.

Ex-Oregon St. DB goes home to LaTech as grad transfer

LOS ANGELES, CA - SEPTEMBER 27:  Running back Justin Davis #22 of the USC Trojans is defended by safety Cyril Noland-Lewis #17 of the Oregon State Beavers in the second half at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on September 27, 2014 in Los Angeles, California. USC defeated Oregon State 35-10.  (Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

A week after transferring from Oregon State, Cyril Noland-Lewis has found a new home that happens to also double as his hometown.

The Ruston News Star, among others, has reported that Noland-Lewis is transferring into the Louisiana Tech football program.  As he is coming to Tech as a graduate transfer, he will be eligible to play for the Bulldogs in 2016, his final season of eligibility.

The defensive back, who went to high school in Ruston, was at the Bulldogs’ practice Tuesday as Tech continues preparations for the season opener Sept. 3 against Arkansas.

Noland-Lewis started 10 games for the Beavers last season.  Six of those starts came as a safety, the others as the nickel corner.  OSU moved Noland-Lewis to cornerback this offseason, where he ultimately found himself buried on the depth chart in summer camp.

The 6-0, 198-pound fifth-year senior, who began his OSU career as a linebacker, played in a total of 37 games during his time in Corvallis.

Tyler Rodgers, NMSU’s starting QB, arrested on battery charge

BATON ROUGE, LA - SEPTEMBER 27:  Tyler Rogers #18 of the New Mexico State Aggies drops back to pass against the LSU Tigers during the first quarter of a game at Tiger Stadium on September 27, 2014 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  (Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It’s not been a good day for a couple of starting quarterbacks at Group of Five programs.

The Las Cruces Sun-News has reported that New Mexico State’s Tyler Rogers turned himself in last Friday on a warrant that had been issued for him Aug. 14.  The junior was booked on one count of misdemeanor charge of battery against a household member.

The alleged victim is Rogers’ girlfriend. A verbal altercation at a party allegedly turned physical in a vehicle later on. When police arrived, the woman, who was initially crying, “downplayed the incident and said that it wasn’t really anything and that the altercation did not get physical and didn’t consider Mr. Rogers grabbing her arm as being a physical altercation.”

The woman decided against completing a domestic violence supplement report, and, according to the Sun-News, it’s unclear if the woman is cooperating with police.

“I was very disappointed in hearing the news but we are in the information gathering stage,” NMSU athletic director Mario Moccia said in a statement. “These are allegations that we take very seriously and we look forward to getting as much detail as possible so the university can be informed and the athletic department can make an informed decision moving forward.”

Because “it is a misdemeanor, there isn’t a suspension coming forth right now,” head coach Doug Martin said.

Rogers has started 15 games the past two seasons for the Aggies.