Thanks to the circumstances surrounding Jim Tressel‘s departure from Ohio State in the wake of “Tat-gate”, it was a given that the Buckeyes’ football program would be under the microscope for the foreseeable future.
Thanks to a recruiting dustup earlier this year involving public accusations flung by Wisconsin’s Bret Bielema at new head coach Urban Meyer, said microscope was really a given.
The latest example of the ‘Vest Effect comes courtesy of Doug Lesmerises of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, who, following a records request by that paper, revealed a combined 46 secondary violations in all sports had been reported by the school’s compliance department since May 30 of last year. That’s the day, incidentally, Tressel “stepped down” as head football coach.
While a sport-by-sport breakdown wasn’t offered up by the Plain Dealer, it appears that at least eight of the 46 violations were football-related.
Included in that total are multiple examples of how the NCAA’s bureaucracy has blown past sheer lunacy and is hurtling straight toward (a word that has yet to be invented):
- Meyer said “good luck” to a potential recruit prior to a Pennsylvania high school state title game in mid-December. Such game-day contact is forbidden.
- Five OSU players took the same number of recruits on visits out to a movie in mid-December. In part because of a cab ride to the movie, the players were $1 to $5 over the maximum of $60 allowed by the NCAA, so a secondary violation was deemed to have been committed.
- An OSU assistant coach purchased 20 “JT” bracelets for $5 each to honor his former coach last fall. He sold several of the bracelets to players for $15 apiece in order to avoid any type of NCAA issue for giving away freebies; despite the 200-percent markup, it was still considered an NCAA no-no as players were given something not available to the general public.
- Assistant coach Mike Vrabel was gigged for dipping chew on the sidelines during games last year.
- We’ll let Lesmerises take this bit of asinine heavy-handedness: “On Aug. 20, assistant coach Dick Tressel responded to a text message from the parents of recruit Warren Ball asking which gate to use to enter Ohio Stadium for a scrimmage. Texting the parents of a recruit was a violation.”
The biggest takeaway from Lesmerisis’ work? The NCAA is completely and totally out of control when it comes to recruiting/compliance bylaws, and is in dire need of paring down its rulebook — which supposedly is in the works — sooner rather than later.
As ACC commissioner John Swofford deftly put it last August, it’s time for the NCAA to begin “addressing the felons… as opposed to the jaywalkers, and get ourselves out of this maze of rules that are unenforceable.”
OSU’s version of jaywalking is Exhibit A that the NCAA needs to continue on that trajectory out of its petty maze.
Not surprisingly, one member of the Boston College football team is being sent off on a forced sabbatical.
Monday, BC announced that Troy Flutie has been indefinitely suspended from the program. The move came a few hours after his arrest on alcohol-related charges was made public.
After hitting a curb with a vehicle very early Saturday morning, Flutie was ultimately arrested and charged with operating a vehicle under the influence of liquor, possession of an open container of liquor while driving and being a person younger than 21 in possession of liquor. He was also issued a citation for a marked lanes violation.
The school said that the quarterback/wide receiver faces “additional university sanctions pending the outcome of the court proceedings” as well.
Flutie began his BC career as a quarterback and, after redshirting as a true freshman, played in eight games in 2015. He completed 24-of-49 passes for three touchdowns and an interception during his limited action. Because of injuries at the position, Flutie was one of four Eagles quarterbacks to attempt at least 42 passes last season.
This spring, Flutie,the son of former BC wide receiver Darren Flutie and nephew of 1984 Heisman winner Doug Flutie, was moved to wide receiver.
While Walter Tucker has left Miami, it doesn’t appear he’l be leaving the state of Florida.
On social media over the weekend, Walter Tucker, by way of Matt Porter of Palm Beach Post, has indicated that he will continue his collegiate playing career at FIU. That football program has not announced one way or the other the fullback’s connection to the football program.
In his Instagram post, Tucker, in addition to revealing his father has cancer, posted a photo of himself superimposed over FIU’s football stadium as well as the hashtags “#FIUNATION,” “#PANTHERNATION.” and “#PANTHERPRIDE.”
It’s unclear if Tucker would be eligible to play immediately in 2016 with the Panthers.
Tucker played in 32 games the past three seasons, mainly on special teams. He carried the ball three times for eight yards in 2015, and caught one pass for eight yards the year before.
In February, new Hurricanes head coach Mark Richt announced that Tucker had decided to transfer from The U.
A couple of months before the start of summer camp, Nebraska is in the market for some interior line help.
According to a report from HuskerOnline.com, Stevie Tu’ikolovatu visited Lincoln over the weekend as he continues his search for a new football home. Tu’ikolovatu had decided very recently to transfer out of the Utah football program.
Tu’ikolovatu would provide immediate help to the ‘Huskers as he would be coming in as a graduate transfer.
Last season with the Utes, Tu’ikolovatu played in all 13 games, starting two of those contests. His four fumble recoveries were tied for the lead in the Pac-12 and second nationally.
How about some excellent news for a change?
Late Monday afternoon, Pittsburgh running back James Conner tweeted out the words he’s been waiting months to say: “Just got the call that my body is clean of cancer!!!” The news comes five months after Conner revealed that he had been diagnosed with Stage 2 Hodgkin’s lymphoma in his neck and chest.
It also comes less than two weeks after the back completed his chemotherapy treatments.
The treatment hadn’t kept Conner completely away from the Panthers, however, as the running back was seen on video working out with teammates last month while he has been doing some individuals drills since the start of spring practice this month. He’s also gotten the “celebrity treatment” during his battle as the back threw out the first pitch at a Pittsburgh Pirates game and made an appearance on the Ellen DeGeneres Show.
Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi said earlier this offseason that he expects Conner to play in 2016.
As a sophomore, Conner was named the ACC’s Player of the Year in 2014. He was fully expected to leave for the NFL following the 2015 season before the combination of a season-ending knee injury suffered in September and the cancer diagnosis prompted a return to Pitt.
UPDATED 7:47 p.m. ET: Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi released a statement addressing Conner’s positive medical update.
Over the past six months, James Conner fought cancer the same way he plays football: relentlessly and without surrender. He has inspired and touched so many people in how he has handled this challenge. James is an incredibly special person, and I’m not even thinking about his football ability when I say that. Everyone at Pitt feels blessed to know him and we are tremendously thankful for the wonderful news he received today.