Jameis Winston

Report: DNA ties Winston to alleged victim


A sample of Jameis Winston‘s DNA has tied the Florida State quarterback to the woman who had filed a complaint of sexual assault last December, ESPN.com‘s Mark Schlabach reported very early Thursday morning.

An analysis of the sample, which Winston recently provided to law enforcement, was completed Tuesday by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, the results of which showed that the odds the DNA came from someone other than Winston to be one in 2.2 trillion.  Winston’s sample matched the DNA found in the alleged victim’s underwear, which was obtained via a sexual assault kit after she filed a complaint with the Tallahassee Police Department.

As of Thursday morning, ESPN is the only media entity reporting on the results of the DNA analysis.

In a statement released Wednesday, the alleged victim’s family named Winston as “the perpetrator” in what they described as a rape; the fact that Winston’s DNA is tied to the alleged victim does not prove sexual assault, only that there was some type of physical interaction between the two at some point prior to the rape kit being taken.

The statement had also blasted the TPD for failing to obtain a sample of Winston’s DNA at the time of their investigation into the Dec. 7 complaint.

That case, which was considered “open-inactive” because it was claimed the alleged victim stopped cooperating with authorities, was forwarded 11 months later to the Florida state’s attorney’s office, which has reopened the investigation.  It’s unclear at this point how the DNA report will impact the pace of the probe or when a final decision on whether to charge Winston, or anyone else for that matter, with felony sexual assault.

Until then, the controversy and possible charges — charges that likely wouldn’t be filed until next week at the earliest — will continue to hang over the head of a young man who is considered the Heisman front-runner and leads the No. 2 team in the country — and the head of the alleged victim.

“I’m not stupid,” state’s attorney Willie Meggs told Schlabach prior to the DNA report. “It is a young man whose life is in a fish bowl right now. I think about that. There’s also a young girl whose life has been turned upside down and her life will never be the same, either. We look at it and say, ‘Which one of those is most important?’ Both. It is a search for the truth and the truth is kind of elusive sometimes.”

CFT has reached out to Meggs’ office for comment but has not yet received a response.

UPDATED 10:02 a.m. ET: The attorney representing Winston, Tim Jansen, confirmed to the Tallahassee Democrat that his client had “voluntarily submitted to a DNA test,” although he did not specify when that sample was taken.  Jansen added that he has not seen a copy of the DNA report.

Colorado loses starting LB Kenneth Olugbode for 4-6 weeks

during the Rocky Mountain Showdown at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on September 19, 2015 in Denver, Colorado.
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Colorado had already lost one starting inside linebacker to injury.  Now, the Buffs have lost another.

Kenneth Olugbode sustained an unspecified leg injury in the Week 5 loss to Oregon. As a result, Olugbode will miss 4-6 weeks.

At minimum, Olugbode will miss games against Arizona State, Arizona, Oregon State and UCLA, possibly returning for the Nov. 7 game against Stanford. Missing six weeks would see him miss the Stanford and USC games, returning, Nov. 21 vs. Washington State.

It’s going to be a big loss,” defensive tackle Justin Solis said according to the Denver Post. “It starts up front with us, the D-line. Not having K.O. out there is a huge loss, but it’s definitely something we accept as a challenge as a D-line. We’re going to step it up while he’s out.”

Olugbode had started all five games this season after starting all 12 games as a sophomore last season. Ryan Severson is expected to take his place in the starting lineup.

Dismissed Wolverine Logan Tuley-Tillman charged with three felonies

Logan Tuley-Tillman
Michigan Athletics

Back on September 10, it was announced that Jim Harbaugh had dismissed Logan Tuley-Tillman for “conduct unacceptable for a Michigan student-athlete.”  Now we know what that unacceptable conduct was.  Allegedly.

Wednesday morning, mlive.com is reporting, Tuley-Tillman was charged with three felonies stemming from a Sept. 4 incident in which he’s accused of filming a sex act with a woman without her knowledge. Tuley-Tillman was officially charged with two counts of capturing/distributing an image of an unclothed person and one count of using a computer to commit a crime.

From the report:

Capturing/distributing an image of an unclothed person is punishable by up to two years in prison, a fine of no more than $2,000, or both. Using a computer to commit a crime, in this case, would be punishable by up to 10 years in prison, a fine of no more than $5,000, or both.

The incident occurred in the 300 block of Catherine Street Sept. 4. Tuley-Tillman is accused of filming a portion of a sexual encounter with a woman without her knowledge and then transmitting it to his personal device without her permission, according to Ann Arbor police.

Tuley-Tillman was a four-star member of Brady Hoke‘s second-to-last UM recruiting class, rated as the No. 24 offensive tackle in the country and the No. 7 player at any position in the state of Illinois.  He played in one game as a redshirt freshman last season, the season opener against Appalachian State.

This season, he had been listed as the No. 2 left tackle and played in the 2015 opener.