Crab legs

Jameis Winston reportedly cited for stealing crab legs

53 Comments

Yep, you read that correctly.

In a case that goes along the lines of he fought the claw and the claw won, SBNation.com is reporting that Jameis Winston was issued a misdemeanor citation Tuesday for allegedly stealing crab legs from a local Publix.  No details surrounding the crustacean caper were revealed, and the school has yet to comment on the incident.

It’s unclear if Winston will be in line for a show-claws from the NCAA, although there’s little doubt he’ll find himself on the wrong side of Santa Claws’ naughty/nice list for being shellfish.

Or, as Mark Ennis put it:

All puns aside, this is at least the fourth run-in with the law during Winston’s brief time with the Seminoles.

Infamously, the reigning Heisman winner was accused of raping an FSU student in late 2012 although no charges were ever filed.  Additionally, there were reportedly incidents involving a BB gun fight and stealing ketchup from a Burger King, although no charges were filed in either of those incidents as well.

UPDATED 11:19 a.m. ET:  A couple of notes to pass along in relation to this “story,” as well as a brilliantly-crafted photoshop of Winston and his ill-gotten booty.

UPDATED 11:46 p.m. ET: Winston was issued a citation by the Leon County Sheriff’s Department, not the Tallahassee Police Department.  The LCSD will conduct a press conference at 2 p.m. ET this afternoon to discuss the situation.

Additionally, TomahawkNation.com is reporting that Winston, a two-sport star at FSU, “will be fined $30, required to do community service and will be suspended from the baseball team.”  It’s unknown if he will face punitive measures from the football team as well.

Arrested starting lineman suspended for WVU’s opener vs. Mizzou

MORGANTOWN, WV - NOVEMBER 07:  Wendell Smallwood #4 of the West Virginia Mountaineers celebrates with Adam Pankey #57 after rushing for a 16 yard touchdown in the first half during the game against the Texas Tech Red Raiders on November 7, 2015 at Mountaineer Field in Morgantown, West Virginia.  (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

An off-field incident will lead to some on-field attrition, at least for the short-term, for West Virginia.

Starting left guard Adam Pankey (pictured, large player lifting Smallwood) was arrested earlier this month and charged with driving under the influence following a one-car accident.  Dana Holgorsen has confirmed that Pankey has been suspended and will remain that way through at least the opener Sept. 3.

“We hold these guys to high expectations,” the head coach said. “When you don’t meet those, there are going to be consequences. He’s currently suspended from the team. That’s disappointing. He will continue his suspension through Missouri, and we’ll address it at that time.”

Pankey has started 25 games the past two seasons. He started 13 at left tackle in 2014, and 12 at left guard in 2015.

With Pankey sidelined, Tony Matteo, who started one game last season, will replace the senior in the lineup.

Four-star 2016 Michigan recruit Ahmir Mitchell says he’s ‘reopening recruitment’

TEMPE, AZ - DECEMBER 28:  A Michigan Wolverines flag is carried during the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl against the Kansas State Wildcats at Sun Devil Stadium on December 28, 2013 in Tempe, Arizona.  The Wildcats defeated the Wolverines 31-14.  (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jim Harbaugh had previously confirmed that two of the three Michigan football players not present for a team photo earlier this month — wide receiver Ahmir Mitchell, running back Kareem Walker and defensive lineman Shelton Johnson — had been suspended, although he declined to specify which two. A couple of weeks later, one of those players has apparently exited the program.

On his Twitter account Wednesday afternoon, Mitchell announced that he is “reopening my recruitment to all Universities and football programs.” It’s unclear if the wide receiver has received a release from his UM scholarship.

“I love what U of M had to offer me but, what is best for me and my family comes first,” Mitchell wrote.

A four-star 2016 recruit, Mitchell was rated as the No. 5 player at any position in the state of New Jersey and the No. 167 player overall on 247sports.com‘s composite board. He was an early enrollee who participated in spring practice.,

EMU’s suspends starting QB Brogan Roback

BATON ROUGE, LA - OCTOBER 03:  Brogan Roback #4 of the Eastern Michigan Eagles throws a pass against the LSU Tigers at Tiger Stadium on October 3, 2015 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

With the opener a little over a week way, Eastern Michigan’s quarterback situation is in a significant state of flux.

The Detroit Free Press has reported that Brogan Roback has been suspended by EMU head coach Chris Creighton.  The only reason given was “a violation of our policies.”

EMU opens the 2016 season Sept. 3 against Mississippi Valley State, and it appears Roback will miss at least that contest.

“With the privilege of being a member of the Eastern Michigan University football program there are expectations and standards to which we hold our student-athletes accountable,” a portion of a Creighton’s statement sent to the Free Press read.

Roback took over for Reggie Bell as the Eagles’ starting quarterback after Week 1 last year.  He threw for 2,304 yards, 16 touchdowns and 11 interceptions in completing exactly 60 percent of his passes.

Bell transferred after the 2016 season, leaving Roback as the presumptive starter.  With Roback’s suspension, it leaves EMU with four scholarship quarterbacks — junior Todd Porter, freshman Isaac Stiebeling, and redshirt freshmen Anton Skupin and James Pensyl.  Only Porter, a junior college transfer, has experience at the collegiate level, and would presumably take over as the starter in Roback’s absence.

NCAA grants NC State QB Ryan Finley another year of eligibility

RALEIGH, NC - SEPTEMBER 27:  "Pack" flags are brought onto the field to promote the North Carolina State University Wolfpack in their endeavors against the University of North Carolina Tar Heels during the game at Carter Finley Stadium on September 27, 2003 in Raleigh, North Carolina.  N.C. State defeated UNC 47-34.  (Photo by Craig Jones/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Not surprisingly, Ryan Finley‘s stay in Raleigh has been extended.

North Carolina State confirmed Tuesday that Finley has been granted an additional season of eligibility by the NCAA.  Finley received a medical waiver from The Association that will give him a sixth year if he ultimately chooses to use it.

So, in summation, Finley has three years of eligibility remaining beginning this season and running through the 2018 season.

In April of this year, the quarterback announced that he had decided to transfer from Boise State.  A month later, he moved on to NC State as a graduate transfer.

Finley started the first three games last season as a redshirt sophomore for the Broncos before suffering a broken ankle and losing the job he won in the summer to Freshman All-American Brett Rypien, with the latter further solidifying his hold on the position this spring and triggering the transfer decision.

On the depth chart the Wolfpack released earlier this week, Finley was listed as the co-starter along with redshirt sophomore Jalan McLendon.