Jameis Winston

Maxwell Award watch list highlighted by Winston, Petty, Mariota

1 Comment

The watch list for the Maxwell Award, presented by the Maxwell Football Club, has been released and it includes many of the top offensive players in the country.

Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston was an obvious name to include on the watch list. He is the lone returning 2013 Maxwell Award finalist this season and is the reigning Heisman Trophy winner. Other 2013 semifinalists appearing on the list include Wisconsin running back Melvin Gordon, Oregon State quarterback Sean Mannion, Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota and Baylor quarterback Bryce Petty.

Semifinalists for the Maxwell Award will be announced November 3, 2014. From that group, three finalists will be announced November 24, and the winner of the 2014 Maxwell Award will be announced December 11 during the annual Home Depot College Football Awards Show. The formal presentation of the award will take place during an annual banquet in Atlantic City, New Jersey on March 6, 2015.

The Maxwell Award has been presented to the top college football player in the country as determined by the Maxwell Football Club on an annual basis since 1937. The winner is not always the same player to win the Heisman Trophy. Where the Heisman Trophy has seen a share of underclassmen win the award over recent years, the Maxwell Award has a knack for going to upperclassmen. Last year’s winner was Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron. Penn State and Notre Dame are tied for the most Maxwell Award winners with seven each. Ohio State, Texas and Navy each have four.

Here is the 2014 Maxwell Award watch list:


The Paul Hornung Award watch list was also released today.

LSU-South Carolina game moved from Columbia to Baton Rouge

SUMMERVILLE, SC - OCTOBER 07:  Flood waters cover a road, as parts of the state are inundated on October 7, 2015 in Summerville, South Carolina. The state of South Carolina experienced record rainfall amounts over the weekend and officials expect the damage from the flood waters to be in the billions of dollars.  (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

A historic weather incident this past weekend will have a significant impact on a college football game this weekend.

Even as they tried to work out alternatives earlier in the week, South Carolina officials confirmed in a press release Wednesday that the game against LSU, previously scheduled to be played Saturday in Columbia, will instead be played in Baton Rouge at the home of the Tigers.  Historic flooding in the area triggered the decision, which was made after consultation with state and local officials, law enforcement, the SEC and LSU.

The fears of those involved in making the decision, which was made yesterday, was that 85,000 fans attending the game Saturday would exact a toll on an infrastructure that’s already stretched to its limits because of the flooding. Classes for 34,000 students had previously been cancelled.

“On behalf of the University of South Carolina Athletics Department, our thoughts and prayers are with those who have suffered the loss of life and property during this tragic flood,” said athletic director Ray Tanner in a statement. “After much thought and consideration, and in conjunction with local and state authorities and with our own University administration, we have made the decision to move Saturday’s football game to Baton Rouge. Changing venues on such short notice is no easy task, and I would like to thank LSU President F. King Alexander and Athletics Director Joe Alleva for their cooperation and flexibility in working with us to change the site for Saturday’s football game.”

“On behalf of the South Carolina football team we want to do the right thing and do what is best for all concerned,” said head coach Steve Spurrier. “It appears the best thing is to travel to LSU. We look forward to the challenge and competing against the Tigers in Baton Rouge on Saturday.”

A kickoff time will be announced later today or tomorrow.  The Gamecocks are expected to leave for Baton Rouge Friday.

Bowling Green HC Dino Babers helps save woman from burning car

WEST LAFAYETTE, IN - SEPTEMBER 26: Head coach Dino Babers of the Bowling Green Falcons watches the game against the Purdue Boilermakers at Ross-Ade Stadium on September 26, 2015 in West Lafayette, Indiana.  (Photo by Michael Hickey/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

How about we start off the morning with something positive for a change?

As the Bowling Green caravan was driving back from Saturday’s game against Buffalo, a woman in front of the school’s four bus swerved and her vehicle hit the center divider on the Interstate in Northeast Ohio.  Shortly thereafter, the vehicle burst into flames.

That’s when Dino Babers, BGSU’s head coach, and trainer Chelsea Lowe jumped into action.  From the Toledo Blade:

The bus driver asked for permission to stop the bus, and I gave it to him — but I told him not to stop the other three buses,” Babers said. “Then he asked to go check out the car and see if the driver was hurt.

“I told him no, because if he was hurt there wouldn’t be anyone to drive the bus home.”

So that first BG bus, which was unaffected by the crash, stopped a short distance away, and Babers and Lowe went to the car.

“The closer we got to the car, the clearer we could see smoke billowing,” Lowe said. “We knew whoever was in the car wasn’t just going to walk away and have everything be OK.

Baber and Lowe were able to pull the 25-year-old woman away from the vehicle, and stayed with her until police and fire personnel arrived on the scene. The coach was even able to go back to the burning vehicle and retrieve the woman’s purse and keys.

As for Babers motivation in acting the way he did, read the Blade‘s account of the incident. It’ll be well worth your time.