Johnny Manziel

Mike Stoops on Manziel: ‘If they keep him out of jail… he’ll be pretty good’


Yep, he went there.

In the Cotton Bowl a week ago, Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel ripped the Oklahoma defense to the tune of 516 yards and four touchdowns as the Aggies throttled the Sooners 41-13.  The man whose defense was charged with stopping or at least slowing down the 2012 Heisman winner was sufficiently impressed with what he witnessed last Friday night.

Never seen anything like that,” OU’s Mike Stoops said during a radio interview this evening, as transcribed by Tulsa World‘s John Hoover. “Never felt as defenseless as we were the other night, that’s for sure.”

As is ofttimes the case, though, the loquacious Stoops, brother of head coach Bob Stoops, couldn’t help himself as he tossed out some words of wisdom/caution for head coach Kevin Sumlin and his Aggies coaching staff.

Said the defensive coordinator, “If they can keep (Manziel) out of jail or keep him eligible, he’s gonna be pretty good.”


Manziel, of course, was arrested back in late June for disorderly conduct and possessing a fake identification.  Many thought the incident had derailed Manziel’s shot at A&M’s starting job; instead, he won it a month a half later and went on to a record-breaking regular season capped by becoming the first freshman — redshirt or otherwise — to win a Heisman.

Whether or not Stoops’ comment was a shot at the off-field incident is not exactly clear — OK, it was.  Stoops, though, wasn’t done as, in addition to expressing concern about future incarceration, he also delved deeper into the eligibility issue

If they can keep him off the Twitter, he might have 3-4 Heismans,” Stoops said. “He’ll have that type of ability.”

(Writer’s note: forget it, he’s rolling)

That’s apparently in reference to some pictures posted by Manziel to his Twitter account in the aftermath of the blowout win over the Sooners.  In the photos, the underage Manziel is seen holding a bottle of Dom Perignon as well as fanning out a wad of money (pictured, above right) that he apparently won while at a casino.  The photos set of a laughable mini-firestorm of controversy as some accused the quarterback of bending or outright breaking NCAA bylaws.

In response to that particular controversy, Manziel sent out a tweet earlier today that read “Great visit to the hospital today in Connecticut made a ton of new friends. Hopefully this picture passes compliance” and included the following photo:

Johnny Manziel

Well played, Johnny Football.  Well played.

Good to see that there’s at least one person with class in this post…

Suspended S J.W. Ketchum tweets he ‘no longer attends Baylor’

WACO, TX - AUGUST 31:  Head coach Art Briles of the Baylor Bears during play against the Southern Methodist Mustangs at McLane Stadium on August 31, 2014 in Waco, Texas.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It appears the Baylor portion of J.W. Ketchum‘s collegiate career has come to an end.

Late last month, it was reported that Ketchum had been removed from BU’s roster for violating unspecified team rules.  It was subsequently confirmed that Ketchum had been suspended from the program.  BU head coach Art Briles stated Monday there is an opportunity for Ketchum to return next season.

That, though, doesn’t appear to be in the cards as the defensive back announced on Twitter that he’s no longer a part of the university.

Ketchum then went on to accuse either the university or the football program — or both — of being untruthful or disingenuous about something that wasn’t specified.

A four-star member of the Bears’ 2015 recruiting class, Ketchum was rated as the No. 10 “athlete” in the country and the No. 44 player at any position in the state of Texas.  He had not appeared in any games this season.

Clemson WR Mike Williams likely out for remainder of 2015

CLEMSON, SC - SEPTEMBER 5: Mike Williams #7 of the Clemson Tigers is tended to by the medical staff after being injured on a play during the game against the Wofford Terriers at Clemson Memorial Stadium on September 5, 2015 in Clemson, South Carolina. (Photo by Tyler Smith/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Not surprisingly, Clemson is expected to be without one of its top returning receivers for the remainder of the 2015 season.

On the Tigers’ opening drive of the 2015 season, Mike Williams sustained a neck injury after crashing into the goal post following a touchdown reception.  The wide receiver was ultimately diagnosed with a “small fracture” in his neck.

At the time, it was thought there was a possibility, albeit a small one, that Williams could return.  While the door’s not completely closed, it appears highly unlikely Williams will return to the field at all in 2015.

“The most important thing is for him to heal up,” co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott said. “At the very least, to be able to come back next year and have a great year, that’s probably what he’s focused on right now.”

Should Williams not play again, he would be a slam-dunk candidate for a medical redshirt. Such a waiver would then leave him with two years of eligibility.

Last season, Williams’ 1,030 receiving yards were tops on the team. His 57 receptions and six receiving touchdowns were second.